Savage Tactical Rifle Project By Jerry Teo

Inspired by your last project , I too purchased a stevens in .223 as a varmit gun . Unfortunately , this thread was started AFTER I finished work on the stock . I went with the , cut pieces off , and fiberglass method . Not a lot of fun making molds around where the action seats . Well I love the way it turned out . Took it in to wholesale to get it boresited and heard a woman working there say " That's the creepest gun I've ever seen " . I guess she's not pretty she just shoots that way . lol . Saving for a better barrel and trigger . Till then I'm having a blast with this set up . I'll take some pictures and have them posted when I get some time . Just wanted to thank-you for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us who are made to believe acuracy comes at a high price .

Appreciate the interest but no, not into building rifles at this time.

If in Canada, I can help you with basic services. but if in the US, way too much hassle moving firearms across the line.

Conquest, if you need parts for your Stevens, let me know.

[email protected]

You can also find my site on CGN - great place if you aren't already signed up for that forum.

Jerry

Mr Teo,

I asked you a few questions on this article a while back. I finished my tactical build in early September! I built a .300 win mag with a Stevens action and a Mcgowen 26'' match grade barrel. I spun the barrel on the action, headspaced it, beaded it and made my stock just like you said! I read your load development article and came up with my load, it consists of a 200 grain SMK 73.5 grains RL 25 winchester brass and federal match LR. I also used the collet die you talked about and I can use my magazine of the rifle and don't have to load it in the lans. I am pushing 2892 FPS and my biggest spread is 7 FPS! My best group at 200 yards is .335 inches and my best at 800 is 3 inches! This year my brother killed a 300 inch bull at 541 yards, Mule deer at 625 yards and I plunked a Pronghorn at 330 yard.
I will send pictures on my next reply, I just wanted to say thank you so much for you inspiring me to do somthing I have wanted too my entire life. I feel that long range shooting is my calling in life and want to learn everything I can Thank you for your articles.

I am thrilled the info if working for you.

Sounds like a great shooting rig. Gotta love those Savages.

Enjoy...

Jerry

PS what's your next barrel going to be chambered in?

Mr Teo,

I asked you a few questions on this article a while back. I finished my tactical build in early September! I built a .300 win mag with a Stevens action and a Mcgowen 26'' match grade barrel. I spun the barrel on the action, headspaced it, beaded it and made my stock just like you said! I read your load development article and came up with my load, it consists of a 200 grain SMK 73.5 grains RL 25 winchester brass and federal match LR. I also used the collet die you talked about and I can use my magazine of the rifle and don't have to load it in the lans. I am pushing 2892 FPS and my biggest spread is 7 FPS! My best group at 200 yards is .335 inches and my best at 800 is 3 inches! This year my brother killed a 300 inch bull at 541 yards, Mule deer at 625 yards and I plunked a Pronghorn at 330 yard.
I will send pictures on my next reply, I just wanted to say thank you so much for you inspiring me to do somthing I have wanted too my entire life. I feel that long range shooting is my calling in life and want to learn everything I can Thank you for your articles.
I would love to see some pictures

Jerry,

Please tell me about what you did to the fore end to stiffen it up. Did you just carve a U shape of wood and then glue it to the plastic stock ? then shape it with a belt sander / The flimsy fore end is the problem with my plastic stock.

I took 1/2 plywood and used five minute epoxy on my forend. I then blended the plywood in to the stock with the sander. I used a epoxy puddy to make a semless blend in to the stock. It worked really easy and fast.

Same as what Trophyhunter did. Just slap on some plywood with epoxy, shape and fill with a epoxy filler or bondo. Final sand and paint. If you want it really strong, you can put a layer of fiberglass over it.

you can also reinforce on the inside by gluing in a arrow shaft or similar.

Simple.

Jerry

Mr. Teo, Could the same accuracy performance of the .223 rifle be accomplished with a long action ( 110 ), in .300 win mag. ?

Yes, the 300 Wm can be made to shoot very well and in a quality match barrel, sub MOA accuracy out at a mile is possible.

Jerry

i have a savage 110 7mag that and has a round rear reciver. i would like to build a custom rifle. i was wondering is the savage target action a better action for a magnum such as a 7mm or other magnum cal. ? i have read that my action i have is better for what i would like to do. but that taget action looks so good!! thanks

i have a savage 110 7mag that and has a round rear reciver. i would like to build a custom rifle. i was wondering is the savage target action a better action for a magnum such as a 7mm or other magnum cal. ? i have read that my action i have is better for what i would like to do. but that taget action looks so good!! thanks

Target action is only available in a short action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.