Shooting a 223 to a Mile Accurately By Jerry Teo

Jerry,
AWESOME SHOOTING gun)
I hope that you or someone else can answer my question?
From reading the article you were using a fast twist barrel with big bullets,
my question is, I have built a sweet AR 223 with a 24" Heavy triangle 9 twist
barrel, from my reading you can't shoot the big bullets in a 1-9 twist barrel,
this barrel is AWESOME and shoots great, I have plans on shooting long range with it not a mile! What bullet would I use to try and shoot 1000yards with my slow twist barrel?

Greg

Filppo,
Do you have a 223 with a 1-9 twist that you can shoot the 77gr bullet out to 500 yds ect? From what I have read the 1-9 twist won't stablize the big bullets? I have some 77gr sms that I was going to load for a Target AR with 1-7 twist that i built for a friend. I wished I had Quick Load that i could do some load developing.
Greg

I have a 20" bull barrel upper thats 1:9 and it shoots Nosler 77gr bullets just fine out to 600yds. As accurate as any match barrel.

Hi Guys,
You all have changed my thinking a lotgun)
I have been working hard to get my 243WSSM to shoot like I want with very little luck, now I think I will work a little harder on my 223 and see how it likes the bigger bullets.
Thanks a bunch.
greg
243-223.jpg

There are 9 twists and then there are 9 twists.

The only real way to know is to shoot and see.

I really like the 75gr AMax and Berger VLD. These will shoot to very long distances. In fact, the Amax was shot in a factory Savage out to a mile the same time I was shooting.

You may have to single feed for best effect but the simplest answer is go launch some lead.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
First off, Thank you for your time! You are right about putting lead down range. I plan on doing a lot depending on the weather! I have emailed several MFG. about my 223 barrel, I think some one said that Remington was the only co. that made triangle barrels. If I could find what or who made my barrel If it was in my price line I would buy another.gun) I thought that I had found a range where I could shoot out to 800 yards, but I have tried 3 times and all 3 times they were going to be out of town:rolleyes:
I realy like loading my 223 with H335 what powder do you mainly use? I never have used any of the new powders that have been out in the last 15 years.
Thanks for the advice!
Greg

H335 can be a very accurate powder but it is temp sensitive. Constant tuning will be needed to adj for varying temps.

Varget, Benchmark, IMR8208, AR Comp( assume this will work) are all better options.

I use Varget for my heavy 75 and 80gr shooting.

Good luck.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
I am going to have to break down and buy some of the new powders, one reason I havn't is I have enough powder to last my life time! I just sold 15lbs of powder last week, most of it was pistol powder and there is a long story behind that! I have people come over to see my reloading and to learn things, when I tell them that I used to pay $4.50 a pound for powder they don't believe me!
I also have H4895, IMR 4064, but I think they are temp sentive also?
If you were going to buy one of the new powders what would it be?

I have heard of those that tried the IMR 8208 with good results and also I heard alot about Varget, RL-15,RL-22 ??
Later
Greg

Hey, when you guys say a powder is "temperature sensitive" it would be nice if you would qualify your statement. ALL powders are temp sensitive to a greater and lesser degree.

Blanket statements about temp sensitivity is meaningless.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.