Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting by Jerry Teo

Great info, thank you. You had mentioned that for the bigger magnums, full-length sizing may be required every time. For all bolt-action rifles, can you please tell me which cartridges you would full-length resize every time vs. only neck sizing?
.240 Weatherby Mag
.257 Weatherby Mag
.300 Weatherby Mag
.300 Win Mag
.338 Win Mag
.338 Lapua Mag
.416 Barrett
.50 BMG

Thank you!

Sorry but I am confused with something and hope someone can assist.

When checking to ensure the bullet is seated straight with the gauge, if tolerances are outside of desired amounts is there a way to correct this or are these rounds relegated to plinking rounds?

While here in Afghanistan I ordered a Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter in .338 Lapua and want to load for best accuracy now instead of just thick woods short range deer rounds. I've researched various dies and have a Forster Bench Rest seater die, a Redding body Die, & a Redding Competition Bushing neck sizing die in my "wish list" ready to purchase once I understand all of this better. For proper neck tension, can someone please tell me what size bushing I'll need for the .338 Lapua neck sizing die or is this something specific to my gun after fire-forming? The Redding website states this for determining bushing size;

"The easiest way to determine the proper diameter bushing is to measure the neck diameter of several loaded or dummy cartridges with an accurate micrometer. (These dummy cartridges can be loaded with your old set of dies or a borrowed set.) Then, simply subtract 0.001" from the cartridge that had the smallest average measurement. This will allow for a slight amount of spring back and create a proper press fit for the bullet." With being in Afghanistan and not having access to my micrometer or .338 cases, Wikipedia states that the neck diameter for a .338 Lapua is .372. But, Redding has a list of bushings applicable to each round and they recommend .361-.369 for the .338 Lapua. If I go with the above recommendations for calculations and only subtract .001 from .372 it doesn't fall in the range of the recommended bushings. Can someone please explain what I am missing? Is the Wikipedia neck diameter incorrect?

I've always only used the 2 die sets and appreciate the information in this article to help produce more accurate rounds.

Sorry for my naivety in all this and very much appreciate any assistance.

Last edited:
Great info, thank you. You had mentioned that for the bigger magnums, full-length sizing may be required every time. For all bolt-action rifles, can you please tell me which cartridges you would full-length resize every time vs. only neck sizing?
.240 Weatherby Mag
.257 Weatherby Mag
.300 Weatherby Mag
.300 Win Mag
.338 Win Mag
.338 Lapua Mag
.416 Barrett
.50 BMG

Thank you!

Depends on the dimensions of the chamber vs your ammo.

how well the action locks up vs the pressures you are running

What type of function requirements you must have.

EVERY cartridge can have and use ALL the same techniques. It doesn't matter what it is, just what it is fired in and how.

Unfortunately, the best answer is that you do what is necessary for each rifle as the problems present itself.

Kind of like your present job... There is no one right answer for every situation.

Jerry

Sorry but I am confused with something and hope someone can assist.

When checking to ensure the bullet is seated straight with the gauge, if tolerances are outside of desired amounts is there a way to correct this or are these rounds relegated to plinking rounds?

While here in Afghanistan I ordered a Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter in .338 Lapua and want to load for best accuracy now instead of just thick woods short range deer rounds. I've researched various dies and have a Forster Bench Rest seater die, a Redding body Die, & a Redding Competition Bushing neck sizing die in my "wish list" ready to purchase once I understand all of this better. For proper neck tension, can someone please tell me what size bushing I'll need for the .338 Lapua neck sizing die or is this something specific to my gun after fire-forming? The Redding website states this for determining bushing size;

"The easiest way to determine the proper diameter bushing is to measure the neck diameter of several loaded or dummy cartridges with an accurate micrometer. (These dummy cartridges can be loaded with your old set of dies or a borrowed set.) Then, simply subtract 0.001" from the cartridge that had the smallest average measurement. This will allow for a slight amount of spring back and create a proper press fit for the bullet." With being in Afghanistan and not having access to my micrometer or .338 cases, Wikipedia states that the neck diameter for a .338 Lapua is .372. But, Redding has a list of bushings applicable to each round and they recommend .361-.369 for the .338 Lapua. If I go with the above recommendations for calculations and only subtract .001 from .372 it doesn't fall in the range of the recommended bushings. Can someone please explain what I am missing? Is the Wikipedia neck diameter incorrect?

I've always only used the 2 die sets and appreciate the information in this article to help produce more accurate rounds.

Sorry for my naivety in all this and very much appreciate any assistance.

You have to start with the case and measure the neck dimensions OR you can outside neck turn and make it exactly what you want.

I much prefer outside neck turning to control my brass and neck tension.

choose say 12 thou thick neck and order your bushings to suit. 1 to 2 thou of neck tension should get it done.

The three dies you mentioned will work well.

Jerry

Maybe I've just been lucky concerning runout, but here is what has worked for me:

After seating the bullet, turn the cartridge 180 degrees (half a turn) and run it in the seating die again. My thinking is; if the bullet has been seated say .005 off center. by turning it the seating die will now push the bullet back the other way and straighten it in the case neck.

I know this sounds silly but I now have a concentricity lock and load fixture from Hornady and it repeatedly shows me about .001 runout right out of the press.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.