Good-News!!!-(New-Rifle-Project)

wildcat

Hey-guys;well-I-sold-all-of-my-rifles(8-rifles-Total)-scopes(5-Scopes-Total)-handguns-ect.-I-was-able-to-pay-off-some-bills-and-put-a-ton-of-money-away.-I-also-found-out-that-even-though-I-am-loosing-my-job-in-August;-I-will-have-a-job-as-soon-as-I-am-let-go.-So-here-is-the-good-news;-I-am-going-to-be-able-to-build-one-rifle-for-long-range-varminting.-Here-are-the-specs-for-the-new-rig;

1.-7mm-Rem-Mag-or-7mm-WSM-I-havn't-decided-yet.
2.-Lawton-7500-Action;-1.450-diameter;-Fluted-Bolt;-oversized-bolt-knob.
3.-Lawton-30"-barrel;-1&10-twist;-1.350-tapered-to-1.250-at-muzzle.
4.-McMillan-Tooley-MBR-stock-3-pounds-weight-added-to-rear-Color-80%Black-10%Grey-10%White.
5.-Jewel-2oz-Trigger
6.-Vias-Muzzle-Brake
7.-Lawton-Base-with-20MOA
8.-Nightforce-30mm-Rings
9.-Nightforce-8x32x56mm-NXS-with-NP-R2-reticle

I-want-to-go-with-a-7mm;becuase-I-want-more-power-than-a-6mm;-the-7mm-has-many-high-BC-bullets-in-Ballistic-Tips;-V-Max;-A-Max;-Matchking-and-Berger-VLD-bullets.

I-am-having-some-difficulty-deciding-on-what-7mm-to-go-with.-The-7mm-Rem-Mag-or-7mm-WSM.-They-both-hold-the-same-amount-of-powder-and-their-velocity-potential-is-the-same.-If-I-go-with-the-7mm-Rem-Mag;-I-can-shoot-the-bigger-and-longer-bullets.-I-am-probably-going-to-shoot-bullets-between-120-to-162grns.-So-I-am-thinking-the-7mm-WSM-might-be-the-way-to-go.-The-good-thing-is;-Norma-makes-7mm-Rem-Mag-Brass-and-300-WSM-brass-that-can-be-necked-down-to-7mm.-If-I-go-with-the-7mm-WSM;I-am-thinking-I-might-get-some-pressure-issues(Maybe).-I-had-a-7mm-Rem-Mag-before;-and-I-used-it-for-long-range-varminting.-It-was-an-awesome-shooting-rig-with-120grn-and-140grn-Ballistic-Tips.-It-was-devastating-on-yotes-out-to-1000-yards-and-provided-a-Red-Mist-show-on-ground-squirrels-out-to-700-yards.

I-like-what-the-7mm-offers.-It-will-shoot-a-120grn-bullet-out-of-a-30"-barrel-at-around-3700-fps;a-140grn-bullet-at-around-3500-fps-and-a-162grn-bullets-at-around-3300-fps.

I-would-like-know-what-7mm-you-think-I-should-go-with;-either-the-7mm-Rem-Mag-or-the-7mm-WSM.-Let-me-know-what-you-guys-think.

P.S.-I-know!!!;-I-need-a-new-Key-board.-That-is-in-the-works!!!-Please;-bare-with-me.

Jake

Well Wildcat, way to hang in there like a rusty fish hook. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My theory of life is that you must endure the bad times to get to the good times and you should enjoy the good times when they arrive. I am very happy for you.

Have a good time building your new gun.

Redbone-I-thought-about-the-7mm-STW-and-the-7mm-RUM;-but-I-am-thinking-that-might-me-a-little-much-or-Maybe-not.-I-will-look-into-it-a-little-more-before-I-make-my-final-decision.-Who-makes-the-brass-for-the-7mm-STW-and-is-it-any-good.

[ QUOTE ]
My theory of life is that you must endure the bad times to get to the good times and you should enjoy the good times when they arrive. I am very happy for you.

Have a good time building your new gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and without the bad times we could not fully appreciate the good times. Would not even know the difference! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Enjoy it!!!

Wildcat, I was talked into a 7STW last year and as much as I like the way it shoots, I hate the brass choices. I wanted to build a 7mm-300win mag but I had a weak moment and I have paid for it since. If I had built the 7mm-300wm I could have purchased Lapua or some of the other great brass for the 300wm and i could have used my 300wm RCBS competition dies with a smaller bushing. The 7mm-300wm gives up very little to the 7mmSTW and the brass choice are more plentiful than the 7mm rem mag. If you do get a 7mm STW get the neck reamed .025" shorter. All the brass I have is .025 shorter than any of the STW specs I have ever seen. They are the same overall length as 300 Weatherby not the ideal situation especially when you still have to trim the case to get them to be all the same length.

B64;-The-7mm-WSM-looks-like-the-way-to-go.-I-am-waiting-to-hear-what-others-say-about-the-7MM-WSM.-The-7mm-RUM-and-7mm-STW-are-too-much-for-what-I-want-to-do.

[ QUOTE ]
;-Norma-makes-7mm-Rem-Mag-Brass-and-300-WSM-brass-that-can-be-necked-down-to-7mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 300 wsm and 7mm wsm do not have the same case dimensions. You will have to fire form the 7wsm if you neck the 300 wsm brass down. it will blow the shoulder forward and shorten the neck.

d-a

WildCat..
You might want to look towards the 1-9 twist for your project especially if your going to go with the high B.C VLD bullets such as the the A-Max 162,Berger 168,180 or the Cauterucio VLD.
I'm having a 7mm WSM built on a Rem700 long action right now, I went with the long action so I can shoot the heavier VLD's in a repeater.All the guy's I know who have built long range 7mm WSM's have gone with a 1-9 several are shooting Mike Rock barrels. I'm running a 30" Shilen heavy palma and my good friend is shooting a Obermyer heavy palma contour all in a 9 twist.

Mine is on a Model 700 long action.
Trued
Bolt fluted
Badger Ord bolt knob
8/40 base screws
Badger Ord pinned recoil lug

Shilen 1-9 SS select/match 30" heavy palma
Vais Arms brake threaded 5/8-24 to fit a suppressor
Chambered in 7mm WSM with the lead diameter 1 thou over groove for the 180gr Cauterucio VLD's they have a B.C, of .875!!!!!! when pushed just over 3100fps....Incredible.....

Who's going to build this new rig??

Kirby has a 7mm-270WSM reamer that is made for using the Norma 270WSM brass necked up to 7mm. No other forming needed. I have this chambering in a XP-100 and it shoots GREAT. I'm running 162gr A-Max's at 2825fps (I know...slow...but it's a handgun with a 17" barrel). The tube is a 1-9" Lilja. When test shooting...Kirby got it to stabilize the HEAVY 200gr WC bullets.

If you are building a dedicated 7mm LR rifle, I am unsure as to why you would want to mess with wasting (meant nicely) barrel life on light 120/140gr offerings?

[ QUOTE ]
180gr Cauterucio VLD's they have a B.C, of .875!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? is that what Bob told you, the 176's had a BC of .75 and the 180's are made in the same die. Or is this your shot BC to match your charts?

screech:
No Bob does not have a site,he is old school. You can call and if he does not answer just leave a message and he gets back to you fairly quick....

Bob Cauterucio
482 Comerwood Court
S. San Francisco,CA 94080

650-583-1550

Be prepared to pay more for these bullets,everyone is hand made.He pulls the handle himself on every one...The heavier 168 & 180 7mm VLD"S will run you about $51.00 bucks per 100 bullets(box)....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.