Progressive Reloaders Verses Single stage Reloaders

I have an Hornady ammo plant with the powder drop. I've never chased benchrest accuracy, but it keeps my .308 around 3/4 moa shooting Benchmark powder.

The only thing I've found is that resizing on the press isn't worth it. Dillon may be different, but I've found I prefer to resize on my Redding, trim and chamber, clean the lube off, and then run it through the progressive for priming, powder drop, and bullet seating.
I use two heads for Dillon for most calibers - head one is brass prep and head two is loading with primers, powder, seating, and Lee factory crimp die

I use two heads for Dillon for most calibers - head one is brass prep and head two is loading with primers, powder, seating, and Lee factory crimp die
How do you have that brass prep head setup? I've been thinking about getting the trimmer and trimmer toolhead for mine.

How do you have that brass prep head setup? I've been thinking about getting the trimmer and trimmer toolhead for mine.
For 223/556 in a Dillon 550 - position 1 is a Lee 223 full length sizing die and deprimer, position 2 is a Dillon power trimmer. But, I also have a Dillon 650 (estate sale deal) and I have a head with just a Dillon 223 full length sizing die and deprimer - sometimes I just throw the clean 223 brass in the power hopper and then FL resize/deprime as fast as I can work the handle if I am not worrying about resizing. I have a LOT of 223 brass so I prep the brass in volume and then load it for a year. When a 5 gallon bucket of fired brass collects - I have a brass prep party.

I do not build a brass prep head for hunting calibers or low volume target calibers - I use a single stage for full length resize and deprime.

A progressive running at full speed (volumetric power thrower with ball powder) isn't going to give you the same quality ammo that a single stage will using a high quality scale (Supertrickler or Autotricklerv4) and the best stick powders. A progressive can get very close to a single stage if you measure stick powder off the press with a high quality scale but then you lose most of the speed that a progressive offers.

A progressive running at full speed (volumetric power thrower with ball powder) isn't going to give you the same quality ammo that a single stage will using a high quality scale (Supertrickler or Autotricklerv4) and the best stick powders. A progressive can get very close to a single stage if you measure stick powder off the press with a high quality scale but then you lose most of the speed that a progressive offers.
I think you'll still gain a dramatic amount of speed using the progressive, as you're not handling the brass 4-5 times or changing out dies. The time it takes to weigh powder is pretty small in comparison

I think you'll still gain a dramatic amount of speed using the progressive, as you're not handling the brass 4-5 times or changing out dies. The time it takes to weigh powder is pretty small in comparison
Figure 10-20 seconds per powder charge using an Autotrickler v4 if you are measuring off press.

I totally agree with you and this is why I asked the question to began with just wanting to cut my reloading time if I can but still wanting to maintain my level of accuracy in the process.
Even taking the time to measure each charge will increase your productivity. Now, measuring runout would be something to consider as there is seemingly more play in a progressive's shell plate than there would be in a single stage. I know this is part of the reason I got the 550 over a 650 or 750, the shell plate is smaller and closer to the ram, my thinking is this will make it less "wobbly".

Erik Cortina won the Southwest Nationals and the South African nationals loading off an automated progressive press.

A guy named David Christian loaded off an automated progressive press to win the Vihtavuori V2 which is a head to head, double elimination match with the top 32 1000yrd Fclass shooters in the country.

Erik Cortina won the Southwest Nationals and the South African nationals loading off an automated progressive press.

A guy named David Christian loaded off an automated progressive press to win the Vihtavuori V2 which is a head to head, double elimination match with the top 32 1000yrd Fclass shooters in the country.
Well, not really. He only uses the Dillon to decap and size cases.

Everything else is done off the Dillon: trimming, priming, powder, seating.

Last edited: