Amax verses Berger

If you dont want to trail at all the shoot the Amax if you put it in the boiler room everything is turned to mush and may not pass thru but the deer will drop right there ! If you want the same results with a pass thru then go with the Berger.
In short both are very good choices.

I know this post is a bit old, but this photo illustrates the damage done by my 7 WSM using the 162 A-Max, 3020 pfs. The goat was shot head on at 134 yards or so. He was hit on the lower breast bone.
Capt Academy, that picture prompted me to try the A-max in my 284 win when it gets done. Was 3020 fps the starting velocity or impact velocity? I cant wait for my build to be done! And sendero72, that pic only reassures my decision! Thanks guys it is really appreciated!!

I don't really trust the amaxe's I have had them blow up bad on antelope and that was enough for me. I am talking lack of penetration. I would go with berger. Who knows maybe there is a elk hunt or something else in your future and no sense changing for that. I know I would not shoot anything bigger than whitetails with the amax.

While not 7mm, I have used Berger VLD's in 30 cal and A-max in 264 to take mule deer. All have been spine hits so they all dropped on impact. On processing the meat, I have yet to see a reason not to use them. Shots have been 100-300y

I've been working on a hunting load for this fall's whitetail season and would like to get yall's opinion.

Rifle: Remington 700, 26 inch Barrel
Caliber: 7mm Remington Magnum

I have developed two different loads that both I and the rifle seem to like but can't seem to make up my mind as to which to go with.

Load #1 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting at an average MV of 3060. SD of about 50
Load #2 162 grain Hornady Amax at an average MV of 3020. SD of less than 10

Both loads will shoot consistent 3 inch groups at 650 yds. The Amaxs are a bit more vertically consistent than the bergers and quite a bit cheaper to shoot. The Amaxs also seem to have less recoil, making them more manageable during practice sessions. The Bergers leave a 1/4 inch crater in the 1/2 inch mild steel plate at 650 yds whereas the Amaxs simply remove the white paint and leave almost no crater whatsoever. The Bergers are loaded pretty hot whereas ladder testing for the Amaxs yielded a second accuracy node at a velocity of around 3150, but i haven't tried refining that load yet because the lower velocity is shooting so well.

So, if whitetail deer is my primary game animal, which bullet do yall think will give me the shortest blood trails?

Thanks, Bryan
I'm not a fan of either bullet for hunting. What ranges are you realistically going to be shooting at?

I prefer the Accubond and Sirocco in general for WT and both will perform well out to 1,000yds and still perform very well without blowing up at 100-500yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.