Progression of ELR Community

Hello,
For your 510DTC or your HE? :)

THEIS
The trip to get 20N29 was a fail. The mix up was with Alliant 20/28. Not the same thing at all.....

It was for my DTC but future use will include the 416 or 460 HSM and perhaps the 375 HE. It looks promising in the model.

The manager of the shop will be back next Wednesday. He will get me what ever I want because they buy so much. They have at least 10 8lb jugs of Varget and similar for almost any powder you could name. Except H50 and some of the very slow Vita Vihouri powders.

I picked up 8lb of H1000 a couple weeks ago. Haven't fit loading the 338 Edge with it yet. Gonna use it when I switch to 285 ELD-M after this weekend.

How about this bullet pushed by 155 to 160 grains of powder? Claimed G1 BC of .920
Have the shell all drawn up and working with Reamer company to be able to have a standard reamer spec set in stone.

This would be Cutting edges
.358 340gr SINGLE FEED MTH

mth_358_340_1.jpg

Also working on a .338 version.

This velocity/pressure number is based on a QL swag model as I have no real brass at the moment.

A 32 inch barrel should get at least 3250fps at pressures below 60k PSI

It is so much fun doing these LR cartridges.

It's a frustration (not much) that I can't get them all done as fast as I want. I'm pretty slow fitting barrels and finishing the reaming. I have a tendency to go shooting or hunting instead.

At the same time I'm working on these with @hubel458, I'm working on the smallest reloadable cartridge 17 and 20 cal versions of the 5.7x28FN for copper projectiles. Think a reloadable 17 WSM. Cost for brass is nearly free, cost of a load round would be less than the rimfire. Cost of a CAlifornia compliant round it much less than the unobtainable rimfire.

I here you there! Its a lot of fun designing LR rounds. But in my case funding limits what I can do as far as building them. That 358 round you have looks nice. How much powder do you think it will hold behind the bullet? Here is what I am working on in the .358 caliber. This is based of the .585 HE case.

Scan0013.pdf

Attachments

• Scan0013.pdf
    154.4 KB · Views: 31
It was for my DTC but future use will include the 416 or 460 HSM and perhaps the 375 HE. It looks promising in the model.

Hello,
Fred..you guys haven't done any testing with 20N29? It is used in some 14.5 and 20mm cartridges with great results. It is also used by LOTS of BMG shooters :)

How about this bullet pushed by 155 to 160 grains of powder? Claimed G1 BC of .920
Have the shell all drawn up and working with Reamer company to be able to have a standard reamer spec set in stone.

This would be Cutting edges
.358 340gr SINGLE FEED MTH
QUOTE]

Hello,
There can be a "Problem" with just going to a larger diameter projectile in order to get a better BC. It can become an act in futility because a smaller diameter projectile that is "heavy" for its caliber has better final results due to better MV, better sectional density, etc

IMO we have reached the point as to where changing a single entity component in the ELR realm is only resulting in minimum gains. We are at a point that the entire puzzle is needed to change to get leaps in advancement, changing 1 puzzle piece is not changing the outcome anymore :)

THEIS

Thanks for your insight THEIS. I appreciate it. I am new to all this stuff for sure and would like to learn whatever I can. It would be nice if there was some good heavys for the .338.

Hello,
Fred..you guys haven't done any testing with 20N29? It is used in some 14.5 and 20mm cartridges with great results. It is also used by LOTS of BMG shooters :)
Well, I kinda ignore VV powders since my arch rival will only use Lapua and VV. So I often as not win against him using say R-P brass and IMR powder. He is also a Nightforce snob so I make sure to use a Sightron against him.

Now that I look at it, the VV 20N29 looks promising. Like I said Wednesday.

Hello,
Well after much debate, analysis and testing....it is time for a reconfiguration of our bolt face...time to move the extractor between lugs instead of "in" one of the lugs...The JOYS of T&E :)
Sometimes I think I prefer T&E over production, lol.

Bolt.JPG
Bolt2.JPG

THEIS

Hello,
Finally settled on receiver specifications after T&E and modifications so that we can now go into production with our rifle series.
Dimensions are in metric since most of my clients are International Governments and/or Agencies.
Length: 435mm
Diameter: 52mm
Barrel Tenon: 150mm
Bolt Diameter: 35mm
Bolt Length: 235mm
Extractor: Sako Style
3 Lug Bolthead
10 round that can handle 153mm OAL cartridges

Sentry1.JPG
Sentry2.JPG

THEIS

I like your engineering assumptions and compromises.

6.020 inch magazine is great!
2.020 diameter
The long tenon puts stress where I think it is appropriate.

The only bummer is I will probably never have one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.