ELR use of MagnetoSpeed vs Lab Radar

FD6803D7-528F-4444-9467-0C23A53AFEF2.jpeg
Terry

I didn't see anyone chiming in so I will try to help some as far as your question.

The Lab Radar as well as the Magneto Speed are both great resources to use.
In the past folks complained that having the Magneto attached to the barrel was affecting the point of impact while giving the shooter some excellent information, barrel contours would dictate who was seeing the effects of something hooked onto the barrel versus others. At the end of the day you still had some great info versus the old chronographs.

Thus the Lab Radar came along another great addition to the shooter who's tying to get the most valid info in precision yet not affecting the harmonics of the barrel and impacts on a target face.

Both are excellent set ups without a doubt but to answer your question as to what your seeing in some ELR videos.

We use the Lab Radar when shooting and calibrating our equipment at ELR distances, we will set up the unit and monitor our speeds in relationship to impacts at 800 to 1800 yards for example. We watch our water line on impacts on the target face and if there is a low impact while testing and the speed reflects slower well then you don't chase your tail because you have valid info stating why.

While shooting in Raton, NM at the the KO2M you cannot use any type of devices that monitors anything past the shooting line. Dave as well as his son in-law in turn use the Magneto Speed with a special mount that Dave rigged up that doesn't mess with the barrel harmonics to still be able to see the speed of every shot fired and be able to use that info in relation to target or rock impacts for calling corrections - so if he had a round that registered slower or faster from his original group he would not over correct and start chasing impacts. The Magneto was legal to use for this because you are not monitoring anything down range from the shooting line yet still having a good base line info for every shot fired when your dealing with a limited amount of rounds to shoot and under a time restraint. Also Dave Tubbs was able to add another option for shooters to obtain for their setups as well with the Magneto Speed mount.

As far as the Lab Radar for RnD and testing we have found this simple and cheap quad pod set up to be the best as far as not missing a ping do to movement of the lab or the smoke from the round fired effecting the feedback from the lab. Hopefully this picture works showing the quad pod set up.

I hope this info helps

Cheers
Iamosoh
JH

I use both at the same time. My Magneto Speed is mounted on a carbon fiber rod attached to the stock, so there are no barrel harmoic-related issues. From time to time the LR presents some issues, mostly related to wind direction & velocity. Overall its a great combination, and they generally validate each other in velocity at the muzzle (meaning plus or minus 5 fps or so).

View attachment 166106 Terry

I didn't see anyone chiming in so I will try to help some as far as your question.

The Lab Radar as well as the Magneto Speed are both great resources to use.
In the past folks complained that having the Magneto attached to the barrel was affecting the point of impact while giving the shooter some excellent information, barrel contours would dictate who was seeing the effects of something hooked onto the barrel versus others. At the end of the day you still had some great info versus the old chronographs.

Thus the Lab Radar came along another great addition to the shooter who's tying to get the most valid info in precision yet not affecting the harmonics of the barrel and impacts on a target face.

Both are excellent set ups without a doubt but to answer your question as to what your seeing in some ELR videos.

We use the Lab Radar when shooting and calibrating our equipment at ELR distances, we will set up the unit and monitor our speeds in relationship to impacts at 800 to 1800 yards for example. We watch our water line on impacts on the target face and if there is a low impact while testing and the speed reflects slower well then you don't chase your tail because you have valid info stating why.

While shooting in Raton, NM at the the KO2M you cannot use any type of devices that monitors anything past the shooting line. Dave as well as his son in-law in turn use the Magneto Speed with a special mount that Dave rigged up that doesn't mess with the barrel harmonics to still be able to see the speed of every shot fired and be able to use that info in relation to target or rock impacts for calling corrections - so if he had a round that registered slower or faster from his original group he would not over correct and start chasing impacts. The Magneto was legal to use for this because you are not monitoring anything down range from the shooting line yet still having a good base line info for every shot fired when your dealing with a limited amount of rounds to shoot and under a time restraint. Also Dave Tubbs was able to add another option for shooters to obtain for their setups as well with the Magneto Speed mount.

As far as the Lab Radar for RnD and testing we have found this simple and cheap quad pod set up to be the best as far as not missing a ping do to movement of the lab or the smoke from the round fired effecting the feedback from the lab. Hopefully this picture works showing the quad pod set up.

I hope this info helps

Cheers
Iamosoh
JH
What quad pod is that?

You have any issues with pickup with muzzle brakes or suppressors hanging it behind the muzzle like that?

Any issues with scope view being blocked by the pod or is it high enough to clear?

Just got a lr and trying to figure out the best mounting options for it

cohunt

Here's a link to some info on Ryan's Quad Pod he builds.

The pod keeps the Lab Radar high enough out of the way for most of the gases and smoke coming off of the brake. This has helped big time for eliminating missed shots.

Also do your best with any set up to keep the position of the Lab and rifle the same it is amazing how different locations give you different feedback. As mentioned in the video the measurement of the legs in which mine are PVC gives you the clearance for your scope. I always have my bi-pod legs in line with the back Quad Pod legs

I used my radar mount that I had for the flat Lab Radar stand to screw into the top of the Quad Pod.

Hope this helps

Iamosoh
JH

cohunt

The pod keeps the Lab Radar high enough out of the way for most of the gases and smoke coming off of the brake. This has helped big time for eliminating missed shots.

Also do your best with any set up to keep the position of the Lab and rifle the same it is amazing how different locations give you different feedback. As mentioned in the video the measurement of the legs in which mine are PVC gives you the clearance for your scope. I always have my bi-pod legs in line with the back Quad Pod legs

I used my radar mount that I had for the flat Lab Radar stand to screw into the top of the Quad Pod.

Hope this helps

Iamosoh
JH

Thanks for the info, looked at his facebook and web page, dont see the q.p. anywhere so I sent him an email

cohunt

Hope this helps

Iamosoh
JH

That's an awesome idea!

I purchased a Magneto Speed carbon fiber mount from Wiser Precision that mounts to my picatinny rail for my bipod. It also has an Arca mount option available for mounting. This keeps the MS from interfering with the barrel harmonics. Purchase at: www.wiserprecision.com
One thing I have noticed since using it beside my Lab unit is the discrepancy between ballistics being reported between the two. So, to see if one of them was faulty I borrowed another Lab from one friend and another MS from another and shot them independently of each other. Interestingly enough the MS's didn't seem to show any discrepancies from one another but the Lab's did. Both Labs showed lower speed than the MSs reported which makes me question the authenticity of the Labs reporting. Has anyone else experienced this?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.