Problem gun

I have a stock from a reputable manufacturer that's pillared. when I place the barreled action and torque it to specs at 40 inch it cause's binding. I have to go down to 30 inch to not get a bind. I'm figuring that the barrel channel isn't the correct dimension and causing pressure and flex stress on the action. At the 30 inch torque I get the first two almost in the same hole and the third a flyer consistently. So now I'm assuming slippage at the recoil lug since it looks a bit of shine in the recoil recess area over the pillar.
Take a thin piece of paper or cardboard and slide it under the barrel. I've seen a couple higher end production rifles that almost seemed purposely had a dab of bedding out past the recoil lug and seen one that was like you said, resting in the barrel channel. I never care unless I'm getting flyers like what your seeing. I never have enough patience to send back to the manufacturer but that's really the smart thing to do

I have a stock from a reputable manufacturer that's pillared. when I place the barreled action and torque it to specs at 40 inch it cause's binding. I have to go down to 30 inch to not get a bind. I'm figuring that the barrel channel isn't the correct dimension and causing pressure and flex stress on the action. At the 30 inch torque I get the first two almost in the same hole and the third a flyer consistently. So now I'm assuming slippage at the recoil lug since it looks a bit of shine in the recoil recess area over the pillar.
is it a McMillan? Almost all of mine (maybe all of them) have needed anything from minor to pretty extensive dremmel or file work just to fit without binding or touching where it shouldn't.

I have only had a couple. Guns that refused to group consistently. One, I fixed by re-crowning. This one is causing some head scratching.

300 Win Mag, Winchester CRF mod 70, Shilen barrel, McMillan A3 stock, Leupold VX-6, 3-18x56.

I have tried RL-22 and H4831SC. 190 Nosler Custom Competition (identical to SMK), 180 Nosler Accubond and 175 Custom Competition.

Most groups are 1.2" or so. It will shoot a .5" then a 1"+ with the same load. No load has shot consistently good groups.

I'm shooting 3 shot groups, letting the gun cool between shots and shooting 2 other rifles.

This gun is a new build. Straight from the gunsmith.

Rifle is bedded.

More than adequate clearance between stock and barrel from 3" in front of tang.

Indoor Air conditioned 100 yard range.

I can make mistakes shooting, but this is not me. When I pull a shot, I know it and either don't count it or I can call it close enough to get an accurate measurement.

I'm shooting great little groups with the 7 mag 308 and 6.5 CM between crappy groups with the 300 WM.

I have played with seating depth, taking it all the way out to 3.535". Helps, but no consistency.

Ideas?
I would re assemble checking everything to remove any stresses. Pay attention to bedding that you didn't let it cure with screw tension and should have the bottom, sides and front of the recoil lug non bearing. The action needs to recoil in the stock so the rear of the lug is bearing during fireing. Doesn't hurt to to apply a thin coat of graphite or moly to all bedding surfaces to avoid hang ups. When bedding apply a layer of masking tape to front, sides and bottom of the lug leaving the back bare of tape.