Decapping problem

John@redmt

I just got about 50 older military 7.62 (308) casings . I always decap before cleaning with a decap die. The first primer I tried to pop out was pretty stiff and broke the pin. Did I miss something? Should I just dump the casings?

I use a lot of 223 and 308 mil brass. I am glad Lee still honors their lifetime warranty on their decapper. Some of those pockets are very tough and hard to deprime. I have some of the old 2 hole 30/06 and that's another story. I don't know what kind of recalled you are using but I recommend the lee. It doesn't come with the lifetime warranty anymore but the replacement pins are around 2 dollars each. Get the did and a couple extra pins and you should be ready to do lots of brass. You do know that once you get the primer out you have to either swag or team the pocket? And to load a grain less powder for mil brass?

Here's a pic of the primer and head stamp
IMG_20190422_103321.jpg

Clearly a case of Penny Wise..Pound Foolish! Whenever I have any doubt I
throw it away. I buy bunches of surplus 7.62 X 51 MM to just shoot!
No plans of saving any brass just burn it up!

I'm not sure what your inferring with your pound foolish comment? Are you trying to say that getting a free batch of brass is foolish? I don't think so. Maybe I took it wrong but insults never go very far with finding an answer to a question.

Sometimes things aren't worth saving! I've done it too and regretted it every time.
So now if I don't know exactly what I have I trash it! Down by my pond the 7.62 X 39
and 51 MM cases are 3 inches deep.

now that is (pond) foolish
brass is worth MONEY.
STEEL not so much
Sometimes things aren't worth saving! I've done it too and regretted it every time.
So now if I don't know exactly what I have I trash it! Down by my pond the 7.62 X 39
and 51 MM cases are 3 inches deep.

NATO cases that is made in Europe has Berdan Priming, With the 2 flame holes and the primer anvil built into the case primer pocket. Regular decapping pin and decapping rod wreckers. Junk them, Not worth the trouble.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.