Decapping Question

I had a new problem today. I was resizing some once fired 300WM brass, and I broke 2 decapping pins. This is actually the first time I have ever broken one.

When the first pin broke, I figured maybe I didn't get the case in the shell holder all the way or something and was slightly out of alignment. I just chalked it up to an error on my part. I replaced the pin, set it to about 3/16" inch protruding from the die, and then proceeded to try again. When I hit the bottom of the stroke on the press, i heard a pop. The new pin broke. At this point, I scrapped the case, reinstalled another new pin, and everything went fine from there. I did run across one more case that was not wanting to let me push the primer out, so I scrapped it as well.

My question is, is it possible the hole from the primer pocket to the case was misaligned from the factory, where I was actually hitting the bottom of the case with the pin? This was once fired factory loaded ammo. Or is it possible the primer was so tight it just would budge?
On LRH I've recently read about ADG brass that had the flash hole pretty far off center. Pictures were provided to prove it. All responders agreed that it wont effect the primer doing its job, but would cause issues when depriming the case.

I had a new problem today. I was resizing some once fired 300WM brass, and I broke 2 decapping pins. This is actually the first time I have ever broken one.

When the first pin broke, I figured maybe I didn't get the case in the shell holder all the way or something and was slightly out of alignment. I just chalked it up to an error on my part. I replaced the pin, set it to about 3/16" inch protruding from the die, and then proceeded to try again. When I hit the bottom of the stroke on the press, i heard a pop. The new pin broke. At this point, I scrapped the case, reinstalled another new pin, and everything went fine from there. I did run across one more case that was not wanting to let me push the primer out, so I scrapped it as well.

My question is, is it possible the hole from the primer pocket to the case was misaligned from the factory, where I was actually hitting the bottom of the case with the pin? This was once fired factory loaded ammo. Or is it possible the primer was so tight it just would budge?
On LRH I've recently read about ADG brass that had the flash hole pretty far off center. Pictures were provided to prove it. All responders agreed that it wont effect the primer doing its job, but would cause issues when depriming the case.

Make sure the case is fully inserted in the shell holder and not off a ittle. First sign of resistance -STOP and see what is happening. Only cost me one pin .......................

Well, I drilled out the one that broke the pin and sure enough, off center. It's the one to the left.

The one to the right is one that is okay.

Attachments

• 3CF36BE5-4BF1-418E-8CFC-E43CE163AC58.jpeg
    3CF36BE5-4BF1-418E-8CFC-E43CE163AC58.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
The answer is yes and yes they can be off-center and with military crimped primers, I have broken a few. rcbs dies and military 556 don't play well the pins are too weak so I buy all lee dies they have a solid decapping pin much better.

A buddy had some factory rounds he using up to reload. One just made a loud pop. When he extracted the round, the primer was blown up and fell out. The cartridge was unfired. There was literally no primer hole in the case! For safety reasons, I pulled the bullet and tossed the case.
Now that's a strange one...

thanks , that pic just added one more reason to go with a different headstamp IF possible .. ww super neck wall variations are the worst i have found

on another note to the offset flasholes , i had a batch of 223 rem with PMC headstamp that had 20% of them not centered

Military surplus brass can have issues. Hirtenberg brass to name one can have tight primer holes, and offset holes.

You've already eliminated the possibility of Berdan primers. I find Lee deprimer has the beefiest priming rod. I use that whenever I have stubborn military brass issues.

I have one of the Lee deprimer tools shown in the link at the end of this. When inserted in the case neck you get enough movement to find any flash hole no matter how far off center. My good brass is tough to find lots of times, so I don't throw these off center flash hole cases out. I keep them all in one spot so that when I reload them I put a dab of that blue primer sealer on the primer pocket so that I can tell that the cases have off center flash holes, Thus I know I need to use the manual Lee tool.