Die problem

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by artemistrad, Oct 14, 2018.

1. artemistrad

artemistrad Active Member

FD138F7E-87AA-4940-8750-884D905F1712.jpeg hi who can advise me in following problem:
    30-06 Forster FL die at first i got Nice and smooth cases and casenecks out of this die. Now after a 400 cases the necks are unsmooth, ribbeling (See picture). I polished (with polishpaste) and cleaned the expander as wel as I cleaned the die inside. Stil the problem occurs. Following questions:
    - what do I wrong?
    - can the problem be solved and how?
    - is my die ruined
    - is the die or the expander doing this
    - Is it having a effect on accuracy or is this normal after a while. I am not that long into reloading.

Hope someone can help me here.

Thanks

2. just country

just country Well-Known Member

morning, sounds like excess lube built up in the neck
    area. justme gbot tum

3. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member

4. artemistrad

Thanks Guys. This is of a Great help. And indeed did 200pcs of new Lapua brass whit this die and since then it has happend.
    Never to old to learn.

5. DUSTY NOGGIN

DUSTY NOGGIN Well-Known Member

ya i would say that dies is probably ruined, and for the troulbles and possibility of error , or over honeing it to a excessive dimension , due to the cost of another dies , just get a new one

it is probably a result of you sizing dirty brass, because you wanted to knock the primers out before you cleaned, you either gotta do 2 separate cleanings or get a universal depriming die

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...MIlOGNp42G3gIVkaDsCh1xnw0MEAQYASABEgKc9PD_BwE

6. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

many reloaders don't clean their dies enough,clean brass goes a long way to helping dies have longer life , when you roll your cases on your lube pad the necks never get any lube ,they need it ever so sparingly .

jasonco likes this.
  7. artemistrad

I always recap before cleaning with a decapdie. After cleaning the brass I size. I check the necks to be clean. I use redding size wax for the case and grafite (dry lube / powder) for the necks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    MudRunner2005 likes this.
  8. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

Ok , then call the die mfg, good luck !

9. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

I have had this problem with couple different sets of dies. In my case the issue was excess graphite neck lube accumulating and attaching to the the neck sizing part of the die (or bushing, if using those). If you are using bushings, if you look at the bushing with a magnifying glass, you can see the hard carbon like deposits.

They are a little hard to clean. My guess is that you were not able to clean the sufficiently with the polish paste. I used JB bore paste and a nylon neck brush to clean mine.

10. 243winxb

243winxb Well-Known Member

20181014_190225.png Is the expander sitting to high in the die?
    After trimming, chamfer & deburr better. Remove all shaving.
    Brass buildup in the die. Use a decopper agent to clean.

Factory will polish it.

11. Barrelnut

Yea, this is your problem. It can build up after a while in the neck sizing area of the die.

MudRunner2005 likes this.
  12. wjm1000

wjm1000 Member

The lines that I see on the top case look too uniform to me to be caused by dirt. Is the bottom case a fired case and before being resized? You can see on the bottom case there are some nicks and dents that appear to be caused by a dirty rifle chamber also there appears to be similar lines on the neck and light traces running along the case body. Is this a custom chamber job? If it was me I’d take a look at the chamber. The lines may be caused by chatter of the chambering reamer. That being said it could also apply to the die.

13. Barrelnut

Here's the issue starting to become evident on a 300 RUM case. Look familiar? Cleaning the built up carbon dry lube in the neck part of the die resolved it.
    IMG_20181014_174718.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    jasonco and 7stwnut like this.
  14. artemistrad

Is it better to lube everything with redding wax? I use dry lube in the neck area beacause it is easy to brush it out after sizing