Priming tools

YZ-80

Guys,

Do these things wear out? I've had this one for 16 years. Trying to seat primers for the PRC and they seem to be protruding 3-5 thousandths. Shoulders were bumped .003 and all cases trimmed at least .005 under max and I'm still having a stiff/grainy bolt cam on chambering. After priming cases just barely sit flat on my bench. Maybe the spring gets soft? Should I get a new spring or just replace it?

Thanks!

-YZ

Attachments

• 1706408123824.png
    1706408123824.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 21
I have both versions, the Universal and shell holder type, I have had to make adjustments and found the bottom pivot point on my original hand primer was worn excessively, RCBS replaced the entire unit under warranty at no cost. I was told by RCBS to make sure that section was oiled to avoid the same issue. Have not had an issue since with either unit. The adjustments I alluded to originally was making new stems for both small and large primers, as this was required to make up for the worn pivot, I still have those stems somewhere.

Cheers.

Guys,

Do these things wear out? I've had this one for 16 years. Trying to seat primers for the PRC and they seem to be protruding 3-5 thousandths. Shoulders were bumped .003 and all cases trimmed at least .005 under max and I'm still having a stiff/grainy bolt cam on chambering. After priming cases just barely sit flat on my bench. Maybe the spring gets soft? Should I get a new spring or just replace it?

Thanks!

-YZ
Do you uniform your primer pockets on your cases before priming? I've had that same hand primer for a lot of years... in fact, I have two one for small and the other for large primer, (I don't like changing them around) the pivot point can and does wear down I've been told... Might be easier to just save yourself the headache and pick up an RCBS Universal semi-auto priming tool, they are bulletproof and my go-to primer tool. Good luck Cheers

I had the same problem I switched to a Franklin Arsenal it does have adj dept
They also come with nearly a dozen shell holders to fit virtually any cartridge you would need.

Mine like yours started doing the same thing with large primers, but seated smalls to the correct depth. I bought a universal model, and keep it set for large. It's nice not having to reconfigure them for the opposite size. I've been using my shell holder model for over 20 years.

Do you uniform your primer pockets on your cases before priming? I've had that same hand primer for a lot of years... in fact, I have two one for small and the other for large primer, (I don't like changing them around) the pivot point can and does wear down I've been told... Might be easier to just save yourself the headache and pick up an RCBS Universal semi-auto priming tool, they are bulletproof and my go-to primer tool. Good luck Cheers
Hi. Yeah I uniform the pockets. I think mine is worn out and I will look at some of the recommendations made here. For this group of reloads I was able to push them in flush, maybe a bit more, by making a little paper square from a folded over sticky note and it pushed them in enough. I had to do it individually, which was a pain. Not the first time a little Red neck engineering came in handy!

Hi. Yeah I uniform the pockets. I think mine is worn out and I will look at some of the recommendations made here. For this group of reloads I was able to push them in flush, maybe a bit more, by making a little paper square from a folded over sticky note and it pushed them in enough. I had to do it individually, which was a pain. Not the first time a little Red neck engineering came in handy!
Glad it worked out... good luck Cheers.

I know it's not an answer to your question but I bought this about a dozen years ago. I'd never go back to hand priming.

I know it's not an answer to your question but I bought this about a dozen years ago. I'd never go back to hand priming.

Yes, it is, I said; "RCBS Universal semi-auto priming tool", showing my age that's what they were called back when as I recall... They are a great primer tool, I've had mine since the time of the dinosaurs, yeah... hard hunting back then. ;) 😂 Cheers