Primer recommendation for .300WM

Any recommendations on what primers to use with H4831sc in a .300 win mag?

Do I need magnum primers?
I would be using a magnum primer of some description, I prefer Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum 215 primers, when I can get them.
I don't recommend using standard primers in the 300WM, it probably can be done, but large charges of powder may not ignite properly.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

I've used Fed215Ms in mine for the most part and have had good results. I've also used Fed210s without any problems. Recently, however, I loaded up a few with CCI 250's. This'll be the first time I've used these in the .300 WM and I'm looking forward to trying them.

I use CCI Mag primers in my 300 Win Mag with H4831 and they shoot pretty good. Haven't tried anything else. They work for me so why change it.

Thanks for the inputs - very helpful.

Does anyone know the difference between "Match" primers like the Federal #215 and standard primers like the CCI #250?

Are Match primers worth the extra pennies?

I only used the CCI 250's when I loaded for the 300WM,and I alway's got good SD's and ES's,usually low teens on good loads.I never tried any other primer for the 300WM,so I cant say if it was better than anything else.

I use Federal 210s. I cut my ES and SD about 40% compared to the 215s, so I'm obviously getting sufficient powder ignition. And this is in Alaska with some cooler temperatures.

Best results with FED 215's, GMM when I can get them.
I tested the 215's against the Win, Win Mags, and 210's.
215's yielded the best groups and es/sd --single digit

I spent months developing a load for my factory
300 Win Mag Greywolf SAKO 75
with no bedding and 1-1/2 lb. factory trigger.
Scope is NXS 5.5-22 x 56mm in opti-loks

I compared FED210 Match Gold & FED215Magnum Match Gold using same bullet, brass, powder and same amount of powder.... there was no difference in accuracy, average velocity, ES or SD

My pet load:
Lapua brass, Berger 210gr. seated 4 thou from rifling, 80.o H1000
avg velocity 2853 fps ES 35.67 SD 13.11
----------------------
all of the above components and formulas... but using magnum primers
avg velocity > 2860 fps ES 24.32 SD 9.38

Approx. 1/2" groups @ 100 yards most times
Huge recoil and muzzle blast

Last edited:
Hey Al - thanks for the info.

What kind of powder do you use with the loads you mention above?

Also, what is your COAL with your 210gr Bergers? Do you have any issues with their overall length and your rifle's magazine?

H1000 is what I'm using with the Berger 210's

My initial testing was done with other brand bullets ...Nosler Accubonds and Partition and Wildcat in the 180 and 190 weight using IMR4350 and RL22 but the accuracy and chrony readings weren't as good as the 210 BERGER with H1000

I've got no issue stacking these in my clip or feeding.

I use a stony point gauge to establish OAL
***Very important / for best accuracy***
Be sure to seat the BERGER bullet 3-4 thou from the rifling.

Good luck and glad to help, if I did.
AL

I've had great success with H1000 and IMR7828. I tend to lean toward H1000.

Often there is very little difference in primer. In may case it was a very small difference. Of course what showa up on target at long range is what really matters.

Alberta Al -- an SD of 9+ for 215's and 13+ for 210's seems like a big difference.

The results I had were close as well, virtually identical, but the edge went to the 215's.

Here's my data with IMR 7828.
200gr smk and 73.3, I7828 @3.495"oal ave velocity

The data:
WLRM -es-19, sd-9 .521"@100yds
fed 210- es-19,sd-9 .43"@100ydds
fed215-es-17,sd-7 .389@100yds

Very close but the 215 were a little better, and it shows on target when shooting past 600yds

Last edited:
Does anyone know the difference between "Match" primers like the Federal #215 and standard primers like the CCI #250?

Are Match primers worth the extra pennies?

Not a darm bit of difference between teh Feeral 215s and 215Ms. They test a lot and if it turns out to be somewhat more accurate they call them 215Ms. Biggest scam out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.