300wm primer selection, magnum or standard???????

30-06 boy

i do a lot more "lurking"here than posting.but i read on another forum about using standard large rifle primers in 300 wm.they were saying standard primers could improve velocity slightly and deccrease extreme spread.very seldom do i see primer selection listed with someones pet load.i'm in the process of selecting compnents for my next load development session.h4831 and h1000 are the powders and 208 amax.win cases.i have used nothing but fed 215m in the 300 weatherby i had and now this 300wm.i have a hodgdon 2000 paperback loading manual.it caqlls for wlr primers.i also have alliant data it calls for standard primers.what is your opinion on this subject?worth playing with standard primers or not?jason

06; I prefer Rem 9 1/2M primers for any magnum except with 100+ gr loads of H-5010, H-50 bmg, etc, and I am about to try them on H-5010. They give consistant low s/d's and the cups are soft enough to give pressure warning before you start seeing bright spots on the back of your cases.

Check out the thread on .300 Win Mag powders on this forum.

My opinion, Tom

Just because it is a magnum, do not believe that you must or even should use a magnum primer all the time.

start with the standard primers and work the groups up and then switch to the magnum IF you want to try.

Unless you are using a lot of very slow burning powder you normally do not need the magnum primer. The 300 win mag normally takes a standard.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.