Standard primers vs magnum

ARlife4me

Back in '84 (18 years old) a vetinarian that is an avid hunter got me into reloading. I started with a 44mag and have aquired many other calibers and cartridges since. 180 and 240gr sierra bullets with cci350s was my starting point along with ww296. Given that same cartridge and using different bullet manufacturers most data showed lp primers. I haven't changed what primers I use and most powder I use has been h110, lil gun and my go to 296. So here's my question? Do any of you prefer 1 primer over the other (lp vs mlp)? Given the same charge and bullet weight I might do some testing between the 2? Does the mlp provide better or more reliable burn with the 3 powders I've listed? I might be just set in my ways?

While I'm sure that other members will chime in to this thread directly, and you may get some useful information out of this, I'll also say that there has been a great deal of information posted in previous pages about this subject in particular.

The search feature here is your friend, and you can gain tremendous insight into what others have already cataloged in the annals of this site.

Having said that, I'll also answer that, yes, most here have found a favorite primer combo for many of their loadings and almost certainly found the greatest overall results from, as you aptly pointed out - doing testing on their particular loads and their particular guns.

Primers can be an odd piece of the puzzle, as the best results - say, better extreme spread, or standard deviation - are sometimes counterintuitive. For example, your best results may come from using a standard (non-magnum) primer in what you thought would work better with the magnum version.

Again, you may luck into a loader here that is using the components that you specified and may have the "secret sauce" information that you are looking for and is willing to answer you directly. I'm just letting you know that there are zillions of threads and cross-linked posts within these pages in which your gem of information may already be hidden.

Oh, and test, test, test - to find what works best with your equipment!

Recent Posts