Primer problems, No fire in 7mm RM

I tried to point that out for you Lefty. To the OP, take the bolt out release the pin by pushing it with your thumb, check its protrusion through the bolt face, .035-.050" is good, any less can cause your issue with harder primers, anymore could pierce them.

One other possible issue could be something as simple as to tight a fit somewhere in the bolt assembly, possibly if dropped. I had that happen on my sx2 shotgun. I dropped the bolt body on the bench as I was re-assembling the gun. A few weeks later I was getting mis-fires with fed ammo in the gun. Turnes out I'd dropped the bolt on a rather thin spot and it bent enough for an interference fit and took the energy out of the firing pin before it got much past flush. Win worked fine with flush primers, but not fed with a bit of recess.
The same thing could easily happen with a tail hit on a bolt action rifles bolt if the shroud got bent; you would never notice it with certain primers, but others would mis-fire to hell and back.

I have not read all the replies to many, However from what the poster said it sound to me like the primers have not been seated with enough force .
If a primer is seated too high in the pocket it will move away from the firing pin as it drops. Cushioning the strike. The correct way to seat the primer is all the way until it is firmed down to the base of the pocket. This can be hard to feel sometimes if the primer pockets are not formed well. Which sounds like the case.
Buy a primer pocket uniformer and get them nice and square and you will feel the primers bottom out. It sound to me like there is a bit of fear associated with seating the primer and as a result it is not down hard. Put a bit more pressure on it , it will not go off . This is a very common mistake for new reloaders. If it works fine with factory ammo I can't see that anything would be wrong with the gun.

"if it's ammo.....
are you cleaning your primer pockets to get the carbon out??
did you tumble the brass and forget to knock the media out of the flashholes??
Did you have powder in the ones that didn't go off??"

What in the heck do those comments have to do with the primers not going off? The only other thing I can think of if it isn't the primers being seated to deep is that maybe the primers were mishandled and some were contaminated. Other than those two things, then it could be the gun itself like a weak spring or a need for better cleaning like was mentioned.

Dude, I'm not getting into a ****ing match with you....The op was somewhat vague as to what was actually happening. I've seen rounds people didn't think went off that were opened up AND the primer DID go BOOM but there was crap in the flash-hole, or if a pistol no where near enough crimp to get things going.

Funny that now you're calling me out a second time when you're the only one on the thread that seems to be lacking in reading comprehension, LOL, so Geez yourself! Two of us tried to politely clue you in on what was happening earlier in the thread and yet you still kept on with your other ideas that had nothing to do with the OP problem. Don't blame us for trying to get you on the same page with the rest of us and if you're not trying to get into a ****ing contest why in the heck did you make your last post, LOL?!!!

We're cool---Have a great holiday weekend!!! How are the pheasants looking where you are? I hunt the southwest part of your state in November every year and it sounds good again this year out there.

We're cool---Have a great holiday weekend!!! How are the pheasants looking where you are? I hunt the southwest part of your state in November every year and it sounds good again this year out there.
To dang dry and hot and windy man-- we'll have dust trails behind us when we walk the badlands for deer I'm sure. There are some long-tailed birds, but I'm not sure if the numbers are much better than the deer, and they are so low I don't even have a centerfire tag as yet. I'll be hunting white-tail with a smoke pole though.

To dang dry and hot and windy man-- we'll have dust trails behind us when we walk the badlands for deer I'm sure. There are some long-tailed birds, but I'm not sure if the numbers are much better than the deer, and they are so low I don't even have a centerfire tag as yet. I'll be hunting white-tail with a smoke pole though.
My dad has a muzzle loader tag for a whitetail buck this year. First year hunting with a muzzle loader.

My dad has a muzzle loader tag for a whitetail buck this year. First year hunting with a muzzle loader.

If it's a 50 I'd try about 120 grains 777 loose powder(FF orFFF) and a 300 grain sst sabot with either a musket cap or 209 to light it.
5 shot 1.5" group at 100 yards with a straight through cross-hair.

to the OP-- any results as to getting things straightened out with your 7mm??

Re: Rare situation ....

Over the last 40 years, I've seen 2 or 3 rifles that would intermittantly misfire. Those rifles always delivered a firm dent in the primers, except for the rare misfired cartridges.

Those particular rifles all had broken firing pins. I found their broken firing pins were able to rotate, and that caused the very intermittant misfires.

However, I would bet the problem is caused by damaged primers. Primers need to be stored inside your air conditioned house, and many shooters are not aware of the effects that heat, moisture and condensation have on primers.

one other source of lack of depth for firing pin strike i encountered with primer pockets not cleaned, primers seated too shallow, and when struck by the pin, they simply moved forward in the pocket, not allowing the primer to ignite. he might try pulling bullet and powder, and firing some of his handloads 'bare' of powder and bullet. check the cartridge base before and after each fire to see if the primers are moving in the pocket.

anyone every had primer pockets too deep? i've heard of it but never experienced it in 30+ years reloading everything from straight wall pistols to 458 mags.

I bought a bunch of Blackhills brass that had primer pockets cut way too deep, and many of them had over size bores for the primers. About 40% of them!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.