Primer pocket depth question

I have had similar experiences. I have not been impressed with Hornady brass mainly because of primer pocket variation.
Never see such variations in primer pockets depths. After spending all day on 100 pieces of brass reaming out primer pockets my hands hurt. Most of the primer pockets measured 0.121. I set my depth to 0.1285. After I completed the hundred I was getting a consistent .003 clearance in primer depth.

Yes and I use Fed 210...no problems so far with Hornady brass. On the 4th round of reloading them.
Have you measured your pocket depth? If not them just verify that your primer are sitting below the rim. I would have had to crush the primers to achieve clearance.

Have you measured your pocket depth? If not them just verify that your primer are sitting below the rim. I would have had to crush the primers to achieve clearance.
Primer is definitely seated right and yes is below the rim...We bought 300 casings and have loaded all of them at least twice...today was #4 for mine. I just checked today's.. again..no deformation of the primers visible!

Just curious...did you try to seat one before you reamed the pocket...if not it's only one primer...I don't touch the primer pockets until after 3-4 loads...but that's probably just me on this site.. I find tumbling the brass with primers knocked out is enough.

Just curious...did you try to seat one before you reamed the pocket...if not it's only one primer...I don't touch the primer pockets until after 3-4 loads...but that's probably just me on this site.. I find tumbling the brass with primers knocked out is enough.
I didn't try to seat them first. I always measure my cases before starting to do prep and found them to be inconsistent. If they would have been running more consistent I would have just brushed them out and resized.

Haha. I didn't read the manual before setting up my seating die. After that one mishap I stopped and started reading.
I use the Lee Dead Length Seater Die because it doesn't crimp and bottoms out on the shell holder. More consistent seating depth. I adapted a Hornady Micrometer seating adjuster to mine and it works great. On the primer pocket uniformer, which is the best? I know the Hornady model is adjustable but I have fears of it not staying in place. May try the RCBS.

I use the Lee Dead Length Seater Die because it doesn't crimp and bottoms out on the shell holder. More consistent seating depth. I adapted a Hornady Micrometer seating adjuster to mine and it works great. On the primer pocket uniformer, which is the best? I know the Hornady model is adjustable but I have fears of it not staying in place. May try the RCBS.
After I set them up properly I kinda like the way this seater die works.

Moose, I wish I had a dollar for every round I've kicked out of the press that looked like that... or worse! Back in another lifetime when I was using Dillon 1000's for my commercial reloading operation, every once in a while a bullet would tip between the time I placed it on the case and when it got to the seating die. It would crush the bullet down into the case sideways, tearing the case and spilling powder all over everything! Too much of a hurry sometimes!
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.