Primer pocket depth question

MOOSE39465

Before I mess up 100 pieces of brass I want to verify that 6.5 Creedmoor has large rifle primer dimensions in Hornady brass? I noticed my uniformer bit has chewed the heck out of this primer pocket before it bottomed out.

Attachments

• 9B3518FD-1381-4C50-A710-4B2C9F503096.jpeg
    9B3518FD-1381-4C50-A710-4B2C9F503096.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
That's what I was thinking. Never had brass this inconsistent so looks like it will take a while to clean it up.

I understand. Anytime it seems like I'm taking off 'too much', it's good to pause and re-evaluate things. I guess when you are done, you'll have a much better chance at consistency with that brass since all the primers will be uniform depth and solidly in their 'pockets', but it makes you wonder how the ammo worked so well in the first place being 'off' that much.

I called Hornady and asked them what SAMMI specs was and they told me 0.128. This brass is measuring from 0.138 to 0.122.

Been a rough day of reloading. First time to try the Hornady Custom dies and I'm not a fan of them.

Attachments

• FC146D32-5413-4261-A90C-610E8F17ADE4.jpeg
    FC146D32-5413-4261-A90C-610E8F17ADE4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
Been a rough day of reloading. First time to try the Hornady Custom dies and I'm not a fan of them.
Pay very close attention to directions for Hornady Seater. MUST place brass in holder, raise ram to top of stroke, then slowly tighten die until it touches brass...back out one turn and you are set to go. ( without a crimp)... I have a 204 Ruger TWIN to your picture...( my first Hornady Set)..guess I learned the hard way too... who ever thought to read the directions ! We are men ! We just make em work ! HA!!

Pay very close attention to directions for Hornady Seater. MUST place brass in holder, raise ram to top of stroke, then slowly tighten die until it touches brass...back out one turn and you are set to go. ( without a crimp)... I have a 204 Ruger TWIN to your picture...( my first Hornady Set)..guess I learned the hard way too... who ever thought to read the directions ! We are men ! We just make em work ! HA!!
I did finally read the directions and it said exactly that.

Before I mess up 100 pieces of brass I want to verify that 6.5 Creedmoor has large rifle primer dimensions in Hornady brass? I noticed my uniformer bit has chewed the heck out of this primer pocket before it bottomed out.
I have had similar experiences. I have not been impressed with Hornady brass mainly because of primer pocket variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.