Primer Pocket Uniformer Depth????

7stw

I have a Sinclair primer pocket Uniformer that I believe has slipped. It seems as though my primers are seated in a little farther than usual all of a sudden. I thought that the optimal setting was .121-.122. I just measured my depth, and I got .127. A unfired primer is .114. The Uniformer I have is the original style, that can actually be adjusted. The new ones are solid. The shame is, I just did over a bunch of brass this weekend, and probably over cut a bunch of brass that I processed. Does anybody have that dimension handy? Thanks.

I did not get out the depth mic for a precise measurement.

I simply took a quick measurement of my K&M pocket uniformer with a digital caliper and it measures .131". The same caliper measured a CCI BR2 primer at .126".

So, it's likely that one of us isn't calibrated. Or, you're looking at small rifle while I'm checking large rifle.

Either way... I seem to recall that the desired seating depth leaves the primer about .005" below the case head surface.

-- richard

I simply took a quick measurement of my K&M pocket uniformer with a digital caliper and it measures .131". The same caliper measured a CCI BR2 primer at .126".

So, it's likely that one of us isn't calibrated. Or, you're looking at small rifle while I'm checking large rifle.

Either way... I seem to recall that the desired seating depth leaves the primer about .005" below the case head surface.

-- richard

It s somewhat reassuring that you came up with .131. I did get that same number on one of my measurements. And I do believe that you are right on the distance below flush, .005 to be accurate. I may be ok, but it just seems to be more than what I had in my head as the nominal setting. I do believe it is possible for that setup to creep to the rear, asi use a cordless drill to cut new pockets, and to clean fired brass as well. I have had it since1998', and I can tell ya' that Uniformer has cut and cleaned a barge load of brass, and it is STILL sharp. I called Sinclair tonite, but the techs has left for the day. Thanks for the feedback. Boy, CRS really sucks. Ha ha.

-- richard

Rich, I contacted Sinclair today, and he told me that I am in the range. The actual spec is .130, +- .001. I am at .131 exactly. I don't know why I had .121 in my head. So , I guess I am all set, and thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.