Price to pay for gunsmithing

Chris Melink

Curious about others experience... It's been a few years since I've built a rifle but recently I was surprised at what smiths are charging to thread, fit and chamber and bed a rifle. What is the going rate for a high quality smith to do all the work?

I think a lot of it depends on their name, how busy they are, and if they really want to do it or would rather you buy a completed rifle from them. Some small smiths are out there that are really good and just haven't caught on big time yet. I had a barrel installed and muzzle threaded this past winter by Adam Bentley of The Dresden Gun Company. He is in Dresden, Ohio and is only a couple hours from me. His name isn't super widespread, but some big names know who he is and he does top notch work. His chamber jobs are just as precise and accurate as the biggest names in benchrest and F-Class gunsmiths. His prices were really fair and he was a great guy to deal with. He's who I recommend to anyone around here or anyone who is willing to ship their rifle out for top notch work. He will be my go to until I get my shop up and running and start doing my own barrel work.

"I spent 30 years learning to do that job in ten minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes!"

If they are good at what they do, pay for their experience and ability.

Unless things has changed dramatically I sent hart a donor rifle barrel and labor was 800 they even opened up the stock so barrel would fit which wasn't needed because didn't use that stock anyway. David

Labor Rates for my smith, published on their website:

Action Truing - $200
Barrel Install (thread for receiver, chamber, and crown) - $350
Muzzle Threading - $100
Stock Bedding - $250

Parts costs are what they are. Cursory online research says $300 - $500+ depending on manufacturer (steel only. Carbon is $$$$). Not sure if you need a recoil lug but they can be had for $40 or so.

So for a rebarrel of an already trued/bedded action - I'd plan on $800 to cover the blank, the muzzle threading/timing, and shipping. Maybe more, maybe less depending on how many barrels I'm getting spun up, if it's a weird chambering, or if I went with super duper barrel blanks or something more pedestrian.

Rebarreling a virgin 700 and putting it in a nice stock, take that $800 and tack on $450 in labor, plus the cost of the stock.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.