Gunsmithing

spiritwolf68

I have a 300 Weatherby mag (Accumark). The literature that came with is says that it has a hand-laminated, raised comb Monte Carlo composite stock. a molded-in, CNC-machined bedding plate that stiffens the receiver area, A Krieger Criterion heavy contour, 26" 410 Series stainless steel free-floated barrel with longitudinal fluting system. Mark V action.
a .705" diameter muzzle with recessed field crown is concentrically perfect to assure pinpoint accuracy. factory-tuned trigger assembly. A Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad.
w/Accubrake
Rifling:
Length of Pull: 13 5/8"
Drop at Comb: 3/4"
Monte Carlo: 5/8"
Drop at Heel: 1 3/4"
Is there any gunsmithing I can do to the rifle to increase performance and accuracy.

The first thing is -Shoot it! How's does it shoot? Does it really need any more 'smithing done to it? And then we can go from there.

shoot it and see what it needs after that , I would assume though that the "factory tuned trigger" is gonna be set up for the lawyers so that may need some work.

Every Weatherby rifle I have shot had a throat about a mile long so good luck on seating your bullet to touch.

Bump to Chris and JD as I agree with them. Shoot it and see what happens. As JD also mentions, that Weatherby is going to have a LONG throat so the heavier pills will be your best bet to get it out to the lands. Also, to reiterate what JD stated above, the only thing you will be assured to need is a trigger job as every Weatherby or Howa I have ever owned has had about a 1/4 ton pull out of the box.

TH

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

If when shooting the first shot is out and then it seems to tighten, prior to wasting a couple of pounds of powder, rough up the Accumark block and bed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.