Pressure test ladder - how do I do it

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

My 338/26-Nosler should be done any day now.

I have my MagnetoSpeed V2 and a Pressure Trace II.

I want to do some pressure measurements to document actuals for powder+bullet combinations.

Does anyone have a ladder format for this?

What do you want to do?
I what to publish numbers that I have confidence in.

Say I find that the max load produces 2850fps with xxx bullet at yyy COAL, what is that pressure really?

So, I'm looking for input on methodology.

I could:
Make one load of 3 rounds and validate predictions vs actual.
Make 1 round from the predicted minimum to maximum and run the series. Validate that against the model.

Then run 3 rounds of min and 3 of max to double check.

Is that the best or most 'normal' method for producing pressure ladders?

I don't really understand want you want to do, maybe comparison to quick load is your aim?
What model are you referring to?

Anyway, I have a Pressure Trace II, the numbers it supplies are absolute pressure, no fudge factors or subtracting a form factor for discrepency to reference ammo.
I tried the factory ammo comparison, but found it was well down from SAAMI spec in all rifles tested.
These days when I start testing a new bullet/powder combo, I just test for pressure and whatever it spits out I accept as being whatever. I load one round for each powder weight and test.
I don't average anything out, just shoot and what is, is.

Cheers.
gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.