What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

My model 70 in 270 WSM was doing the same thing. Yes, the bedding material is soft and could be compressing. I wentvto a McMillan Sporter that was pillar bedded...problem fixed. The rifle in my avatar.

A way to check this. Shoot your good 2 shot group. Wait 1-3 hours and shoot two more shots. If they are in the first group and the third goes out, chances are decent that it's the bedding. that's what mine did before the stock change.

Big,
I had almost the same issue with my Tikka T3 in .270 wsm. I had no copper fouling, barrel was floated just fine, bedding blocks were good. What I found was that , it will not shoot consistent clean. I now have about 30 rounds down the tube since I cleaned it last and it now is shooting half min again. My load is 140 gr noz ballistics, 61 gr of RL19, Win brass and Fed 215M primers. When clean, it starts out 2 touching at 1 0'clock, then opens up to 1.5 inches. After 10 rounds, waiting between shots, it closes up and shoots dead center under half inch at 100. 300 gives me .75 inch. Crazy, but it works.
Just a thought.

Update: I finally got back on the bench yesterday afternoon. I decided to try and add a pressure point at the tip of the fore end of the stock, well low and behold, it shot like a target rifle. I got a .25" center to center three shot group at 100 yards with factory ammo. But I don't like the fact that I had to put a pressure point in it in order to get it to shoot. I still plan on getting it re-bedded, something is telling me that's my issue, and by adding the pressure point I only put a bandaid on the problem.
Any suggestions or thoughts are surely welcomed.

Update: I finally got back on the bench yesterday afternoon. I decided to try and add a pressure point at the tip of the fore end of the stock, well low and behold, it shot like a target rifle. I got a .25" center to center three shot group at 100 yards with factory ammo. But I don't like the fact that I had to put a pressure point in it in order to get it to shoot. I still plan on getting it re-bedded, something is telling me that's my issue, and by adding the pressure point I only put a bandaid on the problem.
Any suggestions or thoughts are surely welcomed.
20+ years ago, when I went to gunsmithing school, a pressure point was insistanted upon if you wanted any kind of grade. It's not a "band-aid", its simple mechanics. We weren't building hunting rifles like many, if not most think of a 'hunting' rifle today. We were building light weight barreled, wood stocked, traditional rifles. I'd bed the rifle with Marine Tex. If it doesn't shoot after that, I'd use some more of that Marine Tex and make a 'light' pressure point near the forearm tip. Might be all it needs to ''calm" that barrel down.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.