Pressure issues reloading for Christensen

Update: Sent my rifle back to CA today to see what they will do. It is nice they cover shipping to/from. They said if the chamber is only "slightly tight", they will polish it out and call it a day. If it is "significantly off", most likely they will replace the whole barrel and action. Hoping this isn't a several month process or get the rifle back in worse condition than it went in...
Good luck, keep us up to date - I'm interested in their resolution.

I hope they get your issues fixed. I have a new ELR sitting in the safe and I'm interested in how they treat warranty work.

I've got a Christensen in 6.5x284, 26" bbl. that I started working up hunting loads for. The problem is that I experienced very high pressures approaching max loads. Very tight bolts and extractor marks on cases. Those were still only at 2800-2900 fps. I've tried RL22, RL25 and 4831SC with both Berger 140 and 156 gr. Elite Hunter and Fed 215 primers. I spoke with Berger and they said that Christensen barrels and actions had very tight tolerances and most people had to adjust down to starting loads. The folks at Christensen are no help at all.

I've cut my loads and came up with the best accuracy being 47 gr. of 4831SC but now I'm only pushing 2575 FPS. My COAL is 3.275 which I think is about .035 off the lands. Question is, what can I do to get more velocity while staying away from the pressure issues? This rifle should easily shoot 3000 fps, but i can't get close. I'll be using this for LR elk and mule deer. Out to 800 yards.
My son has a 6.5/284 savage long range hunter. We acquired a load for it from my buddy who shoots 1000 yard benchrest. It consists of 57.3 of Retumbo with fed 215 primers and it cuts literally through same hole running either 140 Berger's or 143 Eldx at 3020fps. No issues with pressure and shoots very well.

My son has a 6.5/284 savage long range hunter. We acquired a load for it from my buddy who shoots 1000 yard benchrest. It consists of 57.3 of Retumbo with fed 215 primers and it cuts literally through same hole running either 140 Berger's or 143 Eldx at 3020fps. No issues with pressure and shoots very well.
Some of their rifles are fine. Many of their recent production have the same issue I have. May have tobsend mine back.

Update: Sent my rifle back to CA today to see what they will do. It is nice they cover shipping to/from. They said if the chamber is only "slightly tight", they will polish it out and call it a day. If it is "significantly off", most likely they will replace the whole barrel and action. Hoping this isn't a several month process or get the rifle back in worse condition than it went in...
When they had mine it was almost 3 months till I got it back. I called them a couple times to get an update, because there was zero communication from them. They said they replaced my barrel and receiver. I couldn't zero my scope (well 3 different known good scopes and 4 different sets of rings/bases). The scope mount holes were not true to the bore, they said they had never checked one of their rifles but mine was off. I think they put the original barrel on a new receiver (it had a different serial #). Although it was a little better, I had the same problem when I got it back from them. I called again and they wanted me to send my gun and scope to them. I declined and bought a set of US optics windage adjustable rings.

When they had mine it was almost 3 months till I got it back. I called them a couple times to get an update, because there was zero communication from them. They said they replaced my barrel and receiver. I couldn't zero my scope (well 3 different known good scopes and 4 different sets of rings/bases). The scope mount holes were not true to the bore, they said they had never checked one of their rifles but mine was off. I think they put the original barrel on a new receiver (it had a different serial #). Although it was a little better, I had the same problem when I got it back from them. I called again and they wanted me to send my gun and scope to them. I declined and bought a set of US optics windage adjustable rings.
That's my biggest concern. How long ago was your experience?

Last year. They said it took that long because they were waiting for the parts needed (a receiver?) to come up in the production que. I would call them and ask directly "how long?"
I did, but unsurprisingly, they won't say until they have the rifle in hand and go from there. Generic answer was 4-8 weeks and could be longer...but, "we will keep you updated".

LazyAce: I "had" a CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC for a year and a half. Accurate but pressure problems from day one. I did pretty extensive brass prep with ADG brass, tried 6 different bullets, 4 or 5 different powders and primers and could never get to within 2 and a half grains of any listed max load and was 150 to 200 FPS slower than what I bought the PRC for. I took it back to Scheels (love that place) and they hooked me up and sent it back to Christensen explaining that the rifle was pancaking factory loads and that I was uncomfortable with the pressure and Creedless performance. They had it for 1 week and I got it back yesterday. The barrel, action, magazine and stock were literally dripping in oil. It was a disgusting mess! I boxed it back up just as I received it and went right back to Scheels and showed the manager what I got back. BTW, CA did nothing to the rifle and didn't bother to even tell me what they "found". No explanation or comment of any kind except a separate box with their card, a thank you for being a CA customer and a free hat! When I opened the box in front of the manager, he said "what the heck is all that stuff all over your gun and what did they do to correct the problem"? I said it looks like a half quart of oil, they did nothing and said nothing and I am done with this piece of crap. He (Scheels) immediately gave me full credit for the rifle and I left with the new Savage 110 ULTRA in 6.5 PRC (I'm old, small, and like lightweight rifles). End of story: No more Christensen for me! And, yes, it did pancake every primer in several boxes of "Premium Factory Ammo! Sorry for the rant but just my personal experience. GEEZER
Dam Dan ! That blows ! My chamber on Ridgeline is tight but doable. I'm surprised they didnt give you cr*p for using handloads.
I have the same issue with a 6.5 PRC Ridgeline. Of note, it does this with factory 143 ELDX loads as well. I've been chasing my tail on this one for several months. Neck turned the brass, tried a few different brands of brass, and have ruled out neck thickness as the issue with mine. Sized the brass down as much as possible with with dies and with the firing pin removed, it's still not smooth when chambering a resized bare case trimmed to SAAMI. For reference, a fired case measures 1.646" via the E420 comparator. The die bottoms out at a max resizing (annealing after every reload) of 1.633", and at that length it still clicks on the bolt lift and takes decent force to chamber an unloaded round.

The rifle is extremely accurate with Berger 156's (consistent 1/4" groups) but the extremely difficult bolt lift at velocities that are way below max is getting on my last nerve. Finally reached out to them for warranty work and/or to see what they have to say. Not real keen on sending them my rifle for who knows how many months and not know what condition it will come back in or how it will shoot after...
Sounds familiar with my 6.5 PRC Ridgeline. 156 Berger same in mine .

Last edited:
Dam Dan ! That blows ! My chamber on Ridgeline is tight but doable. I'm surprised they didnt give you cr*p for using handloads.

Sounds familiar with my 6.5 PRC Ridgeline. 156 Berger same in mine .
Hey Don. hope you got my text this evening ( that info really really blows). Anyway, update on Savage, tried to love on it 'cause it was light but had to ditch that , too, without firing it. After getting it home and cleaning it, found little to love in the action and stock. Left Scheels with a Bergara Ridge, camo stock, muzzelbreak and a wad of $ in gift cards. Won't be able to shoot it again for a week due to crappy heart problems but happy to be alive. Go get 'em brothers; may have to settle for reading all your adventures!!! GEEZER

Hey Don. hope you got my text this evening ( that info really really blows). Anyway, update on Savage, tried to love on it 'cause it was light but had to ditch that , too, without firing it. After getting it home and cleaning it, found little to love in the action and stock. Left Scheels with a Bergara Ridge, camo stock, muzzelbreak and a wad of $ in gift cards. Won't be able to shoot it again for a week due to crappy heart problems but happy to be alive. Go get 'em brothers; may have to settle for reading all your adventures!!! GEEZER
Hey Dan
Replied to text this am. Sorry to hear about heart problems . Not good. Sorry to hear your C.A. rifle problems also. I know you had it for awhile and troubles with reloading for it. Would like to hear how Bergara shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.