Preferred impact velocity?

I have had great results with bullets ranging from 85 grains to 195 grains with velocities averaging around 3100 at the muzzle, and as long as I have done my job they have done theirs with few exceptions. My .243 loves 85 grain Sierra bthp GameKings, and deer do not, bang flop most every time out to 300 yards. I've shot Nosler, Berger, Hornady, and Sierra more than all others. The only bullets I have no use for are the SST's. I had a 140 grain Sierra take a long time to kill a deer with a really well placed shot at almost 500 yards, so I quit shooting those at distance, but other than that I've had great success with a wide range of bullets.

I read a study some time ago by a guy who was involved with a lot of culling (over 1000 IIRC).
He stated that there was a marked drop-off of DRT occurrences when the impact dropped below 2600fps. (He was using multiple calibers and rifles and was not taking long range shots where wind and impacts become more unpredictable.)

I always like to check my loads and bullets to see where the bullet will cross the 2600fps line.
In addition, I like guaranteed penetration. Lead versus copper is not a deal breaker, but I prefer non-lead.

So for whitetail, a Hammer bullet in any caliber 24 and up, that arrives over 2600fps, is great.
300 magnums can do that out to 300+ yards. 243Win tends to slow down below 2600fps even before 300 yards, whether heavy lead bullets or light all-copper, so it does not have the best reach.

If the caliber is 33 and up then I am happy with slightly slower impact velocities, though it is always a tradeoff. 338 I like 2400fps impact and up. In 375 — 2200fps, 416 — 2000fps.

In general that means that I prefer getting within 300 yards and I recognize that at 400 or 500 yards there is a risk of significant tracking. It all goes into the overall calculation of what to bring to the hunt and whether or not to shoot in a particular case.

The majority of my game shot with the 6.5 cal with MV's of 2950-3025FPS. Impact ranges have been 200 yards to 1200 yards on about 60 whitetail, mule deer, and antelope. Bullets used have been 140-142gr Berger and JLK VLD's(BCs .310-.323) While terminal performance on has been quite good across this range, bullet performance is different as impact velocity decreases. At impact velocities greater then 2300-2400FPS…..under 500-600 yards, generally result in good penetration/damage to the vitals but with a high degree of bullet fragmentation. As impact velocities drop into the 2100FPS to 1800FPS range…..greater the. 500-600 yards…bullet performance takes on more of the characteristics of controlled expansion bullet designs(mushroom). Given impact velocities are greater the 1800FPS, impact energy will be close to my 1000FPE minimum requirement for medium sized game. The bulk of my LR shots have been in the 400-700 yard range. For my medium game hunting, these bullets provide a good balance of performance across a wide range of impact velocity.
Shown: Recovered 142 JLK VLD from a big Alberta mule deer shot(rear angled, low chest), approx 650 yards, 2100FPS impact velocity/1400FPE. Bullet retained 65% weight. An impact velocity of 2000-2300FPS seems to be the sweet spot….
IMG_1442.jpeg

Last edited:
I now know in my 300 win mag a 200 grain eldx leaving the barrel at 2950 FPS has excellent expansion out to 900 yards. That being said anything under 300 yards has multiple exit holes due to the bullet completely exploding.
I now keep a 225 grain eldm flying at 2850 in the chamber for anything under 300 yards and jack it out for anything over. So far I've had excellent results and no explosions.
I prefer to not lose meat or bite down on lead in my steak.
As I know it been said many times before. You don't need massive destruction for a quick kill. Shot placement and controlled expansion will drop a critter just as well. Unless your trying to hunt with anything smaller than a 243. Then you need every trick in the bag get a good kill.

Based on most of the animals I have taken in the last ten or so years, which is how long I have been keeping track of things, it appears that anything at or above 2000 fps seems to work great with no issue or lost animals. Shooting Bergers, ELD-X and Accubonds, most of my kills have been either dead right there or dead within twenty yards, max. I am a boiler room guy so I don't take direct shoulder shots so these velocities my not work for those types of shots.

I miss this kind of response from a noble and wise man. Thanks, Jerry, for sharing your knowledge and experience and always being willing and able to help. Your legacy continues ...
It starts on a personal level. Letting go of agendas and avoiding cheap "likes" and "cheers" on posts that clearly don't meet that standard. If I have a personal vendetta against someone or something, it will show no matter how well I think I'm masking it.

Since the newer monos were introduced, I have been using the 168 gr and 180 gr 30 cal Barnes TTSX in two different caliber rifles. I push them fast and like impacts over 2,700 fps but understand that they will work slower than that if need be. I use high shoulder shots for whitetails and have never seen a step from any of them. I should also mention that 3 years ago I hit a broadside buck in the throat (to prevent hitting any bones) at 200 yds with a 180 gr Barnes TTSX traveling over 3,000 fps. The exit was about the size of a softball and he was thrown out of his hoofprints. The gentleman who was with me was so impressed that he now only uses Barnes TTSX in his rifles as well. Bottom line, it's not any particular bullet...rather that you understand your tool and its requirements coupled with knowing your abilities when using that tool. Overestimate either and you're likely not going to make an ethical kill that the animal deserves. Good luck in all your hunts!

It depends upon what I'm shooting!

With our (wife and I) hunting rifles, north of 1800 fps (for adequate expansion) with the bullets that we use……which is a non-issue at our self-imposed range limits!

For my handgun, using my 400 grain cast, wide metplat bullets…..somewhere north of 1100 fps should guarantee full penetration from any angle on "any and all" animals to be found in NA!

Summary: It depends upon what your shooting (cartridge and bullet) and how responsible you are as a hunter! memtb

I learned a hard lesson shooting a 7mm TCU with a tough bullet. I shot a javelina at about 50 yards, at around 1900 fps impact velocity. The pig just kept walking. I had pushed the shoulder back too far, and was having misfires in my Contender pistol. It took several tries before I could take another shot, this time through the shoulder. I use varmit bullets now.

I shot a bull elk at 220 yards with my muzzleloader. It was a plastic tipped pure lead 400 gr. bullet over 150 gr. of 777. It went through some gut and penetrated 1" into the heart. The bullet expanded to over an inch. The bull walked away, and I wasn't sure I'd hit him. He went a few yards out of sight and died. I use .45-70 bullets and less powder now with much better results.

Based on most of the animals I have taken in the last ten or so years, which is how long I have been keeping track of things, it appears that anything at or above 2000 fps seems to work great with no issue or lost animals. Shooting Bergers, ELD-X and Accubonds, most of my kills have been either dead right there or dead within twenty yards, max. I am a boiler room guy so I don't take direct shoulder shots so these velocities my not work for those types of shots.
I switch a long time ago to Nosler Bt or AB bullets. I don't use really heavy bullets, but I do push velocity. In my 308NM I use 165gr BT of AB @ 3300fps, and in my 338WM I use 200gr BT or AB at 3200fps. They have done the job out to 500yds from any angle. If a broadside shot I go just behind the front shoulder on the crease line. No problem with preformance. very little blood shot areas also.

I mostly use lathe-turned copper bullets these days.

7mm 150+ grain at 2800+ fps impact usually keeps my deer from running off into the woods and briars. 30 cal 200+ grain at 2300+ fps impact also works OK for longer shots.

I love the way my 270. Win. makes 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tips totally blow up the heart and lungs ! With the Bullet started at 3000/3025 FPS Muzz Velocity ,Expected velocity Between 2780 Fps at (100 Yards) to 2168Fps at (400 yards). For me , that's perfect for a Whitetail Deer bullet at the range I expect to shoot them. The 270 Weatherby Mag will produce a similar degree of organ and tissue damage out to a range of 600 yards , with that same bullet or the 150 Grn. ABLR. "My GUESS" is that most hunting bullets are intentionally designed to open up and in some case completely come apart and do the most soft tissue damage between velocities of 2900fps and 2000 fps. It would be really informative and fun to conduct your own Gel Tests , with your specific load, at 100 ;200 ;300 ;400 and 500 yards!!

Recent Posts