Preferred Barrel for LRH

Prefered Barrel Manufacturer.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I must say that my Obermeyer 5R bbl was by far and is by far the easiest to break in and clean. Truly remarkable.

The Lilja 3 groove and the Pacnor I have were second. Hart was the worst. Still a shooter, but copper fouled terribly.

I would highly recommend a Bartlein Barrel. I believe Bartlein Barrels are the best barrels avialble. All the others you listed are excellent too. However, from what I have heard from very well known gunsmiths is that Bartleins are top notch. I would have to say Bartlein and Krieger barrels would be my top two choices with Bartlein taking first place.

I would highly recommend a Bartlein Barrel. I believe Bartlein Barrels are the best barrels avialble. All the others you listed are excellent too. However, from what I have heard from very well known gunsmiths is that Bartleins are top notch. I would have to say Bartlein and Krieger barrels would be my top two choices with Bartlein taking first place.

I've heard this too, but again, it may boil down to loyalty as well as experience. Boss Hoss has posted on here where alleges he had 2 bad barrels from Bartlien. The thread got to the point where Frank Green and maybe even Tracy Bartlien both responded. Boss Hoss went back with the Krieger.

There are other very well known smiths, high dollar smiths (really high dollar) who have stated they've had problems with Kriegers but are very satisfied with Bartlien.

I know D'Arcy Echols only uses Krieger.

I dont have near as much eperince as most of you men but I will say I went with Kirbys recomendation of the Lilja for my tactical rifle.

I went with Brux for my hunting rifle. I ordered the Brux barrel my self and had it mailed to Kirby I think it took less than a month. When I got the guy on the phone he was one heck of a nice fella we talked out my build and what I wanted to get from the barrel. I chose them on the pole beacuse I had such a good experince with the owner and the turn around time was great.

I had a mcmillan barrel on the rifle Kirby is putting the Lilja on I have heard a few other places that mcmillan barrels are lilja and I was veary happy with the performance of that barrel.

I hope my experence helps its my opnion that you can trust most of the riflesmiths in here with there recomdations as this it there job and they are here to make the coustomer happy and they all do from what I have seen.

I dont have any custom barrels as yet,but am working on it! from info ive always thought of lilja just because thats where I learned of the long range shooting I knew could be done.But Ive since started to look at bartlien,broughton etc AND i have the question for a future project, do these certain cut barrels actully give higher velocities compared to lilja pac-nor etc??? what do you guys think are the fastest barrels given same case/pressures????

I dont have any custom barrels as yet,but am working on it! from info ive always thought of lilja just because thats where I learned of the long range shooting I knew could be done.But Ive since started to look at bartlien,broughton etc AND i have the question for a future project, do these certain cut barrels actully give higher velocities compared to lilja pac-nor etc??? what do you guys think are the fastest barrels given same case/pressures????
Well, you can buy 2 bbls from Lilja in a #4 contour, same caliber, same steel. Send both to a smith and have twin rifles built. The smith will use the same reamer. You can take both rifles and get different velocities, but with this scenario, those differences will likely be subtle.

However, based on the structure of the Broughton, Obermeyer, and Bartlien barrels with the angled lands, deductive reasoning would sway me to believe these bbls are faster in general. Many owners of these bbls are reporting such. And I will tell you they do indeed clean easier. Also, I did post that I was told the 5C by Broughton was only angled on one side of the land. This is incorrect according to Mr. North.

Guys,

Thank you for all of the information and recommendations. There is a lot of sage wisdom in this forum. Everyone's contributions are greatly appreciated. I have learned a lot in the short time I've been reading topics in the forum.

I am going to use either a BRUX or a Lilja Barrel for the rebarreling project. For the custom build, I am going to look into the Kreiger and Bartlien barrels also.

I am still unsure of what the 5C and 5R designations mean.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.