pre/post 64 winnie

I do believe that the main differences is that the Pre '64 receiver steel is supposed to be stronger, and that the bolt has a 3rd tang on it that engages the rear section of the action. I'm not 100% sure but I think they are all controlled round feed/claw extractor as well.

If it is a newer model, like my 300WM - it is listed as "pre-64 style action". This only means that it is a controlled round feed/claw extractor.

GHA, Thanks for the reply. If I'm going to order a stock and I have a pre 64 style action that has the controlled round feed claw extractor but does not have a third tang do I need to get a pre or post 64 action inlet? Any place I can see apicture of the difference. I only have a supposed post 64 action but am not sure since I have never seen a pre action. Sorry for my ignorance but hopefully will learn something here.

I do not know the answer, and I would like to know as well. I would like to eventually replace the cheese-dick factory stock on my 300WM which is also the pre-64 style action like yours. I think the only way to find out would be to contact the mfg. of the stock you are looking at.

I talked to a stock maker and was told if you measure the distance between the action screws and go by that you are covered. Pre 64 is 7 3/8" and post is 7 1/2" (long action). It shouldn't matter if you have a post with a pre style action as long as the distance is correct and the inlet is ordered for the distance.
I would still like to see the diff between the two if anyone knows where I can view them. I may end up going to the library and looking at gun value books or something.

I have collected several pre-64 Winchester rifles in years gone by and in my book, the pre-64s were better rifles at least in fit and finish. If you want to know more about these rifles, look for a copy of "The Riflemans Rifle" by Roger Rule. I think it has been republished in the last few years.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.