Pre 64 win stock needed

I have a 30-06 and a 264 wm for right handed pre-64. 2 carved at a time and I only need one each, its just that the machine works a lot smoother with both motors running.
I'm old and slow, this is just a hobby for me! If your not in a rush I will show you what is made and it will be myrtle wood.

What length do you want, what kind of drops do you need?
Factory specs would work for me.

The top one in pic- is the 264 wm. Barrel, receiver, bolt, and stock are all from different places. No trigger and other parts are missing yet.
Bottom one in pics- an early 30-06 that started with matching barrel, receiver, and bolt with every thing else added till complete and shooting.
I have no idea if the stocks are correct to the right years or calibers. Only have them to get 90% of the inletting pattern copied. The price paid for what is pictured cost less then the nos rear sight for a pre-64 458 my neighbor is selling.

Anyway, the bottom one in the picture is for the 30-06 and that is the pattern I have. Can't find the box of butt pads yet but I will show you what I have sitting around. Let me know if you have one or there is a certain one you want.
winchester 70 pre-64 001.JPG
winchester 70 pre-64 004.JPG

I do like the cheek piece on the 264 stock and no I don't have any recoil pad. What kind of price am I looking at for an unfinished stock?

Lost my mentor recently and I have been thinking about him a lot lately. He stressed the point of not trying to do every thing yourself. To be open to helping others and asking for help! Saubier was his favorite forum and he pushed me towards joining it, but I am not a intellectual, only went to college to win football games.

So in a attempt to do as my mentor wanted. I will help you with a stock for the price of shipping. If you can help me find a tool maker that can cut a 1 flute, straight 0 flute out of tool steel 5" long on a 1/2" shank. Ken at JGS said it will be about 2 months before he changes the tooling because he is running reamer stuff now. Not having any luck with Dave at PTG but have not given up on him yet either. Would like to find some one retired and willing to do small jobs!

Or the hillbilly way I'm used to. My dogs and I are going to catch the crappie state record, it will be around 7lbs I hope. Anyway, you can pay for my fishing license of $38 or just call it $50 and that covers shipping also. So $50 for a unfinished myrtle stock with a cheek piece.

Have a strange thought in my head since I don't know the year of your barreled action that I should send you my stock and make sure it fits your action before I copy it and can only hope and pray it fits. What year range is your action?

I know 2 different machinists so I will talk to each and see about your fluting needs. It will probably be the weekend before I can get an answer. As for the date/year of my action, I can have that in the next day or two. Thank you for your time; I will make it all right between us.....Jeff

Lost my mentor recently and I have been thinking about him a lot lately. He stressed the point of not trying to do every thing yourself. To be open to helping others and asking for help! Saubier was his favorite forum and he pushed me towards joining it, but I am not a intellectual, only went to college to win football games.

So in a attempt to do as my mentor wanted. I will help you with a stock for the price of shipping. If you can help me find a tool maker that can cut a 1 flute, straight 0 flute out of tool steel 5" long on a 1/2" shank. Ken at JGS said it will be about 2 months before he changes the tooling because he is running reamer stuff now. Not having any luck with Dave at PTG but have not given up on him yet either. Would like to find some one retired and willing to do small jobs!

Or the hillbilly way I'm used to. My dogs and I are going to catch the crappie state record, it will be around 7lbs I hope. Anyway, you can pay for my fishing license of $38 or just call it $50 and that covers shipping also. So $50 for a unfinished myrtle stock with a cheek piece.

Have a strange thought in my head since I don't know the year of your barreled action that I should send you my stock and make sure it fits your action before I copy it and can only hope and pray it fits. What year range is your action?
Are you looking for a reamer sized 0.316?

Are you looking for a reamer sized 0.316?

My action was made in 1947

Sorry for the delayed response. Been putting a kiln together and working on Ruger stocks.
Not looking for a reamer. Need to find some one that can make reamers, or what is called milk or grind a profile like the one pictured(Onsrud 61-083). Trying to find a tool maker! Harvey's comes to mind - but I need some one retired and still willing to do really small jobs. Ken owns jgs here in town and makes reamers but he can not retool for a couple months. Just glad he likes me enough to consider making a couple tools because most places don't want to deal with hobbyists.
Have friends with CNC machines in their garage who can make awesome parts like valve covers, intakes, diff covers, Porsche 930 conversions, scope rings, Mauser magnum length bottom metal, and a bunch of ar stuff I'm not into. But said he cannot milk or grind tooling.

Glad I seen this, only turned the computer on just now to see the price of that 1936 Winchester 70 in 257 Roberts, serial number 835 with deluxe stock that went for auction today. Sold for $1800

Attachments

• cutter 006.JPG
    cutter 006.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 24
While making lunch I remembered the guy I bought all my small parts like bottom metal ,correct screws, and some thing else from him but he was really intelligent and nice to talk to about putting Winchester 70 pre-64's back together correctly. He is "tdail3" on ebay. Can't believe I remembered that!
He can still be contacted on ebay so you might send a email and just ask if he has any stocks.

Ebay was the first thought that came to mind with me. There is a company who sells on Ebay that gets parts from firearms at have been marked for destruction. I've bought some hard to find Ruger parts from them on Ebay. Also if I were really stuck for a stock I would be looking at Boyds gunstocks. Nothing wrong with Boyds if you cannot find factory stuff. I just checked Guns International, there are quite a few on there for $250.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts