Pre 64 Winchester Controlled round feed build options?

aebhunter

I have a Pre-64 Winchester chambered in .243. According to the serial number, I think it is the first year they did a .243. The gun was my grandpa's and has some sentimental value, the problem is that it just sits in a gun safe and collects dust. He had a really nice custom wood stock put on it in the 50's but that of course takes away from the value of the gun on the marketplace. It is a very pronounced Monte Carlo style stock for a right handed shooter, and I am one of those weird people who shoot a right handed gun lefty.

Does anyone know of any options for a build with this action? I have done a limited amount of google searching and it seems like these are more collector guns, and not many folks build off the actions.

You can build whatever you want on them. They're hot on the aftermarket for pre-64's because they're controlled round feed. I built a post-64 into a custom long range rifle. I know quite a few people who have custom m70's both pre and post-64. There are a few outfits making modern chassis stocks and there are some trigger options out there. Barrel fitting is going to be the pain. It's not a drop in proposal like a remmy or savage as IIRC the breech face on a CRF m70 is fly-cut for the extractor which has to be done after the headspacing is completed. That's going to make the fitting of the barrel a little more expensive but it's not deal breaker level expensive if you want to use the action.

If you have other specific questions drop em' in. Don't be scared to put it to use. It's your rifle, not the internet's.

I had my stock trigger worked over by a gunsmith I knew locally that specialized in m70's. He's since passed on. I'm using a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock which is excellent for what I use it for but very heavy. So my combo probably isn't what anyone is looking for but, there are options I investigated during my own build.

MDT offers their excellent LSS-XL chassis for the short action right hand m70. If they made it for long action I'd be using it. From what I gather the winchester m70 action requires modification to use AICS pattern magazines (LSS uses them) or you can use the polymer MDT mags. Call up MDTac for full information. That's if you want a chassis system with a pistol grip. If you want more conventional stocks then Boyd's and McMillan are excellent options. If you're a woodworker then check out Richard's Microfit.

Timney makes great triggers in general IMO and offers a drop in for the m70.

Note with respect to stocks, there are subtle differences between the various generations of M70 receivers which may require you to make modifications to the stock you choose. I would highly recommend calling the stock company you choose and working closely with them to assure proper fitment. There's some discussion on McMillan's Winchester stock page: https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-winchester-model-70/

Do NOT replace the trigger. Have someone who knows M70 triggers rework it, it's a better trigger than anything you'll find aftermarket.

The stock choice depends upon what you want to build. For a general purpose hunting rifle I'd use a Mcmillan of some sort in edge fill. For a M70 the Mcmillan that D'arcy Echols sells called the legend stock is a great design.

The pre-64's only came in a long action so you can build just about anything off of it. 30-06, .270, 6.5x284 class rounds are easy as well as the .243, 260 rem, 308 stuff. A bit of gunsmithing would be required to make the belted magnums work, but it's not hard. You need a gunsmith that knows M70's, they're not as easy to find as those that work on remington's. Some good ones are Mark Penrod in North Manchester IN, Randy Gregory in Medford WI, and Lee Christanson in Baldwin WI.

You don't hear of as many builds off pre-64 M70's because there aren't as many of them around. They're great actions and I'd much prefer a hunting rifle built off of one than a Remington M700. Remington's are common and easy, that's why they're popular, not because they're better.

Mine is in .338 RUM, McMillan Lazzeroni Thumhole Stock. I have a Jewel trigger that I've bought, and never had installed, because the smith adjusted factory is as good as I need.

If I was to get a McMillan stock I think I'd let them install and finish it.

One reason the originals keep getting more collectible, is the number that have been customized to one degree or another.

1953%2030-06%201953%20308%20%20%20Winchester%20M70%207-8-2016.jpg

Parts:
1953 M70 30-06
1953 M70 308

What does it all mean?
No the feed lips on 30-06 and 308 are the same.
But the ejector, magazine, magazine follower, magazine spring, and that thingy attached to the extractor collar, are different.

So in July I was was going to build a 25-06 on the 308 action, but when I found out how hard it was to get those needed parts..... I just bought another long action pre 64 for $700 + $67 tax.

Hart Barrels does an excellent job when rebarreling the CRF M70. I had an edge conversion based on a 375 H&H action. Hart did ALL the metalwork which included a Wyatt M8 magazine modification, squaring and truing the action, etc. Half-inch groups consistently when I was "on" and I took the rifle to 1834 yards (Manners 5A, 5-25x56 Premier Heritage in Near Alphamount rings and base).

1953%2030-06%201953%20308%20%20%20Winchester%20M70%207-8-2016.jpg

Parts:
1953 M70 30-06
1953 M70 308

What does it all mean?
No the feed lips on 30-06 and 308 are the same.
But the ejector, magazine, magazine follower, magazine spring, and that thingy attached to the extractor collar, are different.

So in July I was was going to build a 25-06 on the 308 action, but when I found out how hard it was to get those needed parts..... I just bought another long action pre 64 for $700 + $67 tax.

Clark has it right. You can build whatever you want on a pre-64 Model 70,,,,,,,, as long as you can find the parts! If it was mine, I'd just stick with a .308 Win. based case, 7mm-08, .260 Rem. or spring for a reamer and do a .25/308 just for kicks.

With the rifle being 50 years old. Not knowing if the gun set around for years cocked I would suggest you have the Firing Pin Spring Checked, It may need to be replaced.

I got my dad's 1950's 722 Rem. It would actually pop out the firing pin dent in the primer and smoke came out of the bolt. A new firing pin spring and it went back to shooting less than 1" groups like it did in 1962 when I went to the Army. It was not the barrel washed out, It was the firing pin spring. Good Luck in this project.

I personally would leave it be. Once you build it it will never be the same.

That being said they make really good hunting rifles, I prefer to hunt with the CRF and three position safety. My last build was off a post 64 CRF and it is a 270-300WM. Love it so far.

There are many caliber options, 243,260, 7-08, 308, 338 Federal, 358 Winchester, Etc.

Reboring is an option also if you are just looking for a caliber change in the same cartridge group. You can retain the looks of the original and bolt on stuff to your liking.

aebhunter,

It is a very pronounced Monte Carlo style stock for a right handed shooter, and I am one of those weird people who shoot a right handed gun lefty.

Understood. It's not impossible to win at this game, though.

Nearly every stockmaker has a style or styles which are ambidextrous. Find the style you like or want to afford and buy it. Just be sure it is for the exact model of M70 you have. Take your grandfather's stock off, wrap it carefully and put it back in the safe. Replace it with the new stock. Be sure to have a knowledgeable gunsmith tune the trigger before putting it in the new stock. You should also consider having the barreled action bedded as well.

One of these stocks can run approximately $200.00 up to as much as you want to spend on a custom stock. Stocky's might have something on sale.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts