controlled feed custom work

bedrok

I've done extensive searching on the subject with limited results, but need more options, Who makes accurate custom rifles on controlled feed actions? I know all the arguments for push feeds, but I've seen too many failure to extract problems, which brings up another option and question: I haven't heard of any Tikkas failing to extract under extreme conditions. Any opinions on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done extensive searching on the subject with limited results, but need more options, Who makes accurate custom rifles on controlled feed actions? I know all the arguments for push feeds, but I've seen too many failure to extract problems, which brings up another option and question: I haven't heard of any Tikkas failing to extract under extreme conditions. Any opinions on that?

Unfortunately any poorly maintained or loaded rifle can have a problem with extraction.

I have seen controlled feed actions fail to extract for many reasons and some times even
pull part of the rim off . this is normally because of a rough chamber,to much pressure or
a very dirty chamber or all of the above.

I hear the same thing about the Remington extractors but in over 50 years of hunting and
shooting I have never had one single failure to extract a round from them.

My preference is the M16 style extractor(No reason but I just like the way they look and
work).

The reason that they were used, is under battlefield conditions they were though to be more
reliable in dirty chambers/rifles.

Most of the military weapons today use the push feed method and they are just as dependable.

So the real issue is, use the type extractor "You" like and except the shortcomings of each
type.

There is nothing magic about building on a controlled feed action, and any smith should be able
to make an accurate rifle on one.

Most gunsmiths today will recommend a center feed mag box with a push feed type extractor
because the In line feeding causes less damage (If any) to the bullet and brass and less chance
to offset the bullet in the case neck causing a concentricity issue.

One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned was built on a 98 Mauser action with a reshaped
extractor nose, I was able to use it ether way.(Controlled feed or push feed).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.