Practical Hunting Accuracy - Truth and Reality

Yep, watched that couple of days ago. I was telling my hunting buddy about it. We both have rifles that will shoot sub moa three shot groups with consistency. Five shots, eh, not so sure. Next range session I will find out.

Yep, watched that couple of days ago. I was telling my hunting buddy about it. We both have rifles that will shoot sub moa three shot groups with consistency. Five shots, eh, not so sure. Next range session I will find out.
Then you don't have a 1MOA rifle. 3 shot groups don't tell you anything.

Hornady did a similar podcast. I think they recommend 50 shot groups to start to see actual statistically significant evidence of anything.

5 shots in succession without adequate time to cool the barrel is tough for a normal hunting rifle with a sporter barrel or even a little heavier profile. This is why all these accuracy guarantees are 3 shot groups. Personally I've never shot 5 times at any critter. 3 shot groups are fine as long as you shoot enough of them. This has been beat to death a bunch. As for Hornadys 50 shots. Well if you shot 50 times for every change during load development you would shoot the barrel out or use up a lot of it's life. I heard a podcast with Erik Cortina and a custom high end rifle builder who also shoots 1000yd BR. They said pretty much the same thing.

Then you don't have a 1MOA rifle. 3 shot groups don't tell you anything.

Hornady did a similar podcast. I think they recommend 50 shot groups to start to see actual statistically significant evidence of anything.

My concern is where the 1st shot lands. I'm A hunter first, target shooter second. I've never had to fire five shots at a deer in my life. I also agree that my rifle may not be, or the shooter may not be 1 MOA. As long as my number one shot hits where its aimed, I'm good. If you're trying to prove that people who claim their rifles shoot MOA all day long as I've seen in writing, are full of it. Congratulations, you have succeed.