338SS NOW A REALITY

Any specs on rifle build for the first one? Ive already started looking for a suitable donor.

Coal to lands with a 250 Berger is 2.970". You will of course need magnum bolt face. Rem 700 with am alpha or accurate mag dbm would work; or even a wyatts. A Savage model:-$116 or equivalent

Coal to lands with a 250 Berger is 2.970". You will of course need a magnum bolt face. Rem 700 with an alpha or accurate mag dbm would work; or even a wyatts. A Savage model 116; or equivalent[, would be another good choice. The Tikka works well with the 3.4 ish mag box. Just about any custom action with a mag bolt face and 3" minimum magazine would be good. Barrel length should not be too critical to reach good velocity (24" should give you 2800). I would expect no more than 15' per inch, at most, velocity change. I would get a 10 twist barrel in 3b from Bartlein or #5 Krieger or equivalent.If you are going to shoot something in 200 to 220 grain bullets, most will have a coal nearer 2.400. I would expect powders in the Rl17 range to work the best with charge weight around 60 to 64 grains.
Hope this helps.......rich

Would work well with our 213g or 236g Hammer Hunters. Would have to check nose length on the 260g for mag feeding, but thinking it would work too.

Very nice looking cartridge Rich!

Steve

For those running mag boxes of over 3", I have a 338 throater if you wanted to pick up added velocity. This would likely be the most benefit if someone wanted to shoot bullets over 250 grain or some of the longer monos. The 285 ELDM comes to mind.

There is a blooper above. The spitzer type bullets would be close to 2.8" coal, (not 2.4") as I stated earlier.
There is no link yet but should be after the first of the year for all of the Sherman line.

I think the Hammer bullets would likely be a very good option for this cartridge. The 236 grainer, traveling at 2800 - 2900 fps, for example, would kill anything in north America, and probably much of Africa.

I think the Hammer bullets would likely be a very good option for this cartridge. The 236 grainer, traveling at 2800 - 2900 fps, for example, would kill anything in north America, and probably much of Africa.
I'll be anxious to see. Thinking 2900ish

Steve

Thanks Rich. I've been watching out for a Remington wsm, found an xcrii in 300 wsm. I'll keep adding to the shopping list but this 338 SS is what I've been waiting for. I'll keep watching for the first build and follow the progress closely.

Thanks Rich. I've been watching out for a Remington wsm, found an xcrii in 300 wsm. I'll keep adding to the shopping list but this 338 SS is what I've been waiting for. I'll keep watching for the first build and follow the progress closely.

Roger that!

There is a blooper above. The spitzer type bullets would be close to 2.8" coal, (not 2.4") as I stated earlier.
There is no link yet but should be after the first of the year for all of the Sherman line.
I would be great if you had your own web site Rich. Having all the Sherman cartridge info and products in one place would be great, and probably help the Sherman line move forward.

This would be beautiful in a light weight Tikka platform!!!
Got to thinking about it even more, Tikka with a #4 barrel fluted, 22in long then put a Crux suppressor on it, what a timber gun!!! Probably DESTROY hogs also!!
Proof research has a Tikka shank size barrel too!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.