338SS NOW A REALITY

I was thinking of using a 700 action. I think having it tried and a good barrel fitted will serve me well. I am looking for a elk rifle.....ot that's what I am telling myself to justify the build. Actually I don't need much prodding...

Last edited:
I was thinking of using a 700 action. I think having it tried and a good barrel fitted will serve me well. I am looking for a elk rifle.....ot that's what I am telling myself to justify the build. Actually I don't need much prodding...
You mean a long action Remington?
That's what mine is A short action Remington you'll need a Bainey box

You mean a long action Remington?
That's what mine is A short action Remington you'll need a Bainey box
Yes a long action. I didn't note that part. I am wanting a blued action and barrel with a walnut stock for the classic look. I want to do as much of the building as I can. I know my limits and will have someone competent install the barrel. I feel that I can inlet the stock, bed the action and finish the stock. If that turns south.....I will burn the evidence and never speak of it again.

Yes a long action. I didn't note that part. I am wanting a blued action and barrel with a walnut stock for the classic look. I want to do as much of the building as I can. I know my limits and will have someone competent install the barrel. I feel that I can inlet the stock, bed the action and finish the stock. If that turns south.....I will burn the evidence and never speak of it again.
That sounds Great! All you need to make it function is replace the BDL bottom metal with the Quik Clip from Cabela's and you're golden. They hold 2 rounds of Max cases and are a smooth, flush fit. They only run $119 and you can get extra clips if you want but I don't know what would soak up more than 3 shots from the Max!:eek:

That sounds Great! All you need to make it function is replace the BDL bottom metal with the Quik Clip from Cabela's and you're golden. They hold 2 rounds of Max cases and are a smooth, flush fit. They only run $119 and you can get extra clips if you want but I don't know what would soak up more than 3 shots from the Max!:eek:

It may be here somewhere but, will the bdl or similar NOT work with 338Max? With Wyatts box?

I agree with that! 3 Max rounds and still on it's feet will be scary at best.
I am really impressed with all of your cartridges. You have opened a new world to me. I was never into wildcats, but after reading up on yours......I am now! So now the question is....do I go 338SS....338 Sherman....or 338 Max? One door closes and 3 open up.

Brass is in and ready to stoke your 4500 ft/lb 2.9" short action
IMG_20190606_142002757.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.