Powders

With a 26 inch barrel the potential nodes calculate at 2920fps with a 180gr Fusion bullet. That will need a start in the region of 94gr. The node above that is close to max pressure and the limit of 3100fps is still valid. Using that will need actual data to see what the burning rate of the propellant is.

With QL a drop in pressure of 15 000 (15K) psi is normally found between start and max loads. Applying that gives a load of 97gr with the Shooters for such a drop. A 24 inch barrel indicates 2900fps with that load. See what you get when shooting that load. If much above, tread warily up to 3100fps. That is near max pressure. Shout if you have a different barrel length and I can use that in the calcs.
It's a 26" with a brake and an 11 1/2 twist. It loves 165-180 gr pills

With the barrel length confirmed a charge of 92 grains of Shooters as a start load should be close to 2930fps with a 168Eldm. A charge of 98gr predicts 3160fps. This charge shows a case fill of 107% and that could be due to a much larger case capacity and that I do not have at present. The only way to get accurate calculated figures is to supply the following measured data :-

1. Barrel length from tip of muzzle to cocked bolt face. (Firing pin retracted)
2. Case volume of a fired case (without any resizing) in grains of water. (Weigh case dry and then fill with water level to the mouth, weigh again. Difference is the volume. Repeat for 5 to 10 case to get the mean)
3. Fired COL (Jump to lands is useful and helps if there are pressure problems)
4. Charge weight used and speed achieved.

It's made by the Czech Rep. company Explosia as Lovex powders, and is listed in Quick Load as Lovex D100 instead of SW 50 BMG that Shooters World rebrands it to..... it's the exact same powder ......

I recently picked up an 8lb jug and got on Quick Load to see what it can do.... It looks like it will be an awesome powder for "overbore" cartridges, It modeled really good in the 30-378 Wby and similar case capacity cartridges, it was too slow to work well in the 338 Lapua but came across fantastic in my 338 Wolverine and 338 Headhunter wildcats and similar capacity cartridges like the 338 Raptor and 33 XC, It also modeled very well in the 408 Chey Tac, so that will kind of narrow the burn rate right at or near to the VV24N41 powder, from what I've seen by comparing to multiple powders in different large capacity cartridges

In the 300 Lapua it works with 200 gr and heavier bullets, will work with 180 gr bullets with slightly compressed load for max velocity at peak pressures.

***EDIT*** corrected to 26" barrel
SW 50 BMG.jpg
SW 50BMG  Lovex D-100 and cat.jpg

SW 50BMG 300 Lapua  180 gr bullet.jpg
SW 50BMG 300 Lapua  220 gr bullet.jpg

Last edited:
It's a 26" with a brake and an 11 1/2 twist. It loves 165-180 gr pills
Jim, I never did try bullets that lite in my 30-378 W. Have you considered faster powders? But I did do some load development using Retumbo and ram shot magnum for some 190 and 200's. My go to powder was US 869 for 220 and 240's

Jim, I never did try bullets that lite in my 30-378 W. Have you considered faster powders? But I did do some load development using Retumbo and ram shot magnum for some 190 and 200's. My go to powder was US 869 for 220 and 240's
I used 100grs of H-50 with 168gr ELDMatch

I really don't think that 50 powder is optimized for lite pills and your short barrel. I know that we live in different times. But at some point the hoarders have to get all they need. Kind of like the toilet paper crunch. At some point you run out of storage space.

I really don't think that 50 powder is optimized for lite pills and your short barrel. I know that we live in different times. But at some point the hoarders have to get all they need. Kind of like the toilet paper crunch. At some point you run out of storage space.
Short barrel?? 26" loves H-50 BMG 168 grain ELDM and 180gr Accubonds with US869 11 1/2 twist

Short is a relative term. I bought my 1000 yard 30-378 accumark pro with a 28 and I rebarrelled it to a 30 inch because the owner said that he could only get 18 inch groups out of it. The barrel was shot out. My second barrel was 30 inches. Probably the rifles 4th barrel. When it went away I was going to make it into a 338-378 and just sold it instead.

I was just going over some of my loads and looking online.

Very inefficient and never building pressure with 50 bmg behind a 168. You could us 20 + grains less of a faster powder and exceed your FPS.

I read an article about raw unburned powder sand blasting the barrel as it bounces down. 50 bmg and a 168 is a candidate for this happening. I only got about 400-500 rounds before my 30-378W was ruined. Back in the day cases were only about a buck each and I bought 100's of them at a time.

It's made by the Czech Rep. company Explosia as Lovex powders, and is listed in Quick Load as Lovex D100 instead of SW 50 BMG that Shooters World rebrands it to..... it's the exact same powder ......

I recently picked up an 8lb jug and got on Quick Load to see what it can do.... It looks like it will be an awesome powder for "overbore" cartridges, It modeled really good in the 30-378 Wby and similar case capacity cartridges, it was too slow to work well in the 338 Lapua but came across fantastic in my 338 Wolverine and 338 Headhunter wildcats and similar capacity cartridges like the 338 Raptor and 33 XC, It also modeled very well in the 408 Chey Tac, so that will kind of narrow the burn rate right at or near to the VV24N41 powder, from what I've seen by comparing to multiple powders in different large capacity cartridges

In the 300 Lapua it works with 200 gr and heavier bullets, will work with 180 gr bullets with slightly compressed load for max velocity at peak pressures.

***EDIT*** corrected to 26" barrel
View attachment 248804View attachment 248808

View attachment 248811View attachment 248812
I followed the cart and determined that I would load 1 round of a charge starting at 87.5 to 90.0 grains at .5gr increments and no pressure signs as of today. So I will start at 90.5 and test 3-7 more charges

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.