Powder Scale or Measure?

edge

I am thinking about changing my weighing tools. Right now I just use a Lee thrower and then trickle up on a RCBS balance scale.

After reading several reviews, I think that I have narrowed my choices to either the RCBS Chargemaster Combo, or the Johnson Quick Measure.

Digital Powder Dispensers -- RCBS ChargeMaster, Lyman 1200 DPS, PACT test review with accuracy, speed, warranty, reliability tests

Quick Measure - The Accurate Powder Measure.

I almost always load different powders within the same loading session so ease of powder change is a prime consideration, and I normally don't load more than 50 of any load but the recipes almost never change. Accuracy seems to be similar with either system with perhaps a slight edge to the Quick Measure.

Since this will be a present from my wife the cost differential is of no concern.
This is strictly an ease of measuring/changeover/accuracy question.

If someone has information that contradicts my findings on accuracy I would be interested in that too.

Thanks.

edge.

I do the same throw and trickle to a RCBS scale but like you looking at a dispenser scale combo would make life easier.

Never heard of quick measure but was looking at that RCBS combo myself.

Sometimes I wonder how critical a .1 of a grain really is when your loading in the 50-100 grain range. But I do it to dead on. Will welcome a push button instant correct charge system soon.

Looking for some experienced info also? Help us out!

I was in the habit of doing as ya'll do. Then my son, who must have less patience than me, 'forced' me to purchase a Chargemaster.

I haven't looked back since.

Its plenty fast for me when loading 100 +/- grains. If I were loading 140grs or so I think I'd rig up a dipper that for the first 100grs.

Roy, how easy is it to change form one powder to the next? I know that some are a pain in the neck to get all of the grains of powder out.

edge.

PS quick measure review:

155 Scenar and IMR 3031

Edge, it's very easy. With a twist of a knob on the side of the unit, all the powder drains from the hopper into your container. Since mine sits on the bench, I have to dump it into a shallower container and then back into the powder container. If you have it elevated or at the edge of your bench so you can get the container under the nozzle, you can go straight to the container. Once the drain is completed, turn on the unit to get out the residual powder out of the auger. After that, you're ready to dump in another powder and go to work. Just make sure you close the drain knob back up. I would say the whole process would take 2 minutes.

Edge whats the price on that Dillon looks like its better than us! Took a quick look at that review! Out-done my a machine again!

Good question for Roy there, maybe he's had some good results! doesnt the Cahrge master have a memory for previous loads in it?

Seems like the answer was on its way.....Now who wants to give me $300????? any takers????

Last edited:
Edge,

Here is another thread on the Chargemaster:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/5000-miles-still-working-23949/

Trust me, the Chargemaster is THE ONLY game in town. I have had to send over 75% of my stock of the Lyman DPSIII back to Lyman in the short time it has been out. Before that, I sent back every DPSI and DPSII units I had!!

Get the Chargemaster and never look back.

GG, I remeber reading that post! Thanks!

Edge,
Great thread you just cost me $300 bucks, Im soon to order the chargemaster.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone, I ordered the RCBS Chargemaster Combo from Natchez for $254.95
Looks like a real good price.

edge.

What great service from Natchez, it arrived yesterday!

In auto mode it works just a bit slower than throwing and weighing, but there is no thinking involved. Carry on a conversation and wait for the beep. Look at the readout to verify, yes I'm anal, and dump the powder.

I certainly do not reload enough to justify the expense, but why not make life easier...it is the American way :)

I probably will reload more since it is so easy and quick to set up.
Emptying is quick, but some 3031 sticks in the spirals :(

The amount of powder left below the feed screw seems a bit excessive, probably a few hundred grains that can't be used automatically, but I like it.

edge.

I love my chargemaster for extruded powders. I cant say anything bad about it. Getting a couple of those funnel pans can really speed up the process. You can charge one case while the other pan is getting filled.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.