powder for 7STW

Most accurate powder for the 162gr bullet in my 26" Hart barrel proved to be IMR 7828. I always thought that the Dupont series of powders was the easiest to locate.

In the Hodgdon powders, I have had very good results with H1000 when shooting bullets between 140-162gr.

Fastest powder in my rifle was RE25, it grouped well but not quite as good as the others.

VH

Len: This bbl was the first I had made in a series for the 7mm/.338 Lapua. It's a gain twist ending in 1:12 and it is 34" in length. The bbl I am using on the action right now is 28" and is a 1:9" twist. I haven't chrono'd the 162 or 168's in the 9 twist yet, though i'm sure I won't see the velocities I did with the big bbl! Case capacity is 116.3grs H20. Measuring method was to weigh the brass dry, add water, weigh case full, empty water, weigh water, and then weigh case. Water level was filled to where the edges of the miniscus were level with the top of the case. The load I used was at the borderline pressure ceiling, but I have used up to 109.5grs. with the 162's. Never went that high with the 168's though. I posted some more info on the other forum where we were talking about this rifle. You may want to check them out. You still getting ready to build yourself one of these beasts? If you want to start from the "top down", this would be a good project for you!

TH

I have used the A-Max's and the Berger 180's in hunting loads. Both are great, but the A-Max's seem to come apart on occasion. Not being a big fan of Bergers, I have probably used the A-Max to take at least 4 deer that I can think of and 1 elk. As far as powder, for the STW, I would really consider the 872. It's a great slow burner and it's not quite as temp sensitive as the 870. Since Hodgdon no longer mfrs. 870, I would definitely go with 872 and work you a good load up. I have been using 108grs. 872 with the 162 A-Max and the 168 SMK with excellent results. I'm getting around 3540 with the 168's and an avg. of about 3594 with the 162's in my 7MM/.338 Lapua. ES is lowest with the 870, but the ES with the 872 is nothing to laugh at. Besides, the 870 seems to be MUCH more temp sensitive than the 872. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

TH

[ 01-10-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

I have a 7/300wby, I am using 75.5 grains of H-1000 with the 168gr MK's pushing them around 3115 fps out of it's 30" Hart barrel.

I'm curious who else has tried the Hodgdon H50BMG as an alternative to WC872 or 870.

It has very close to the same burn rate and is a Hodgdon Extreme powder. It was showing promiss last summer in the 7mm RUM.

Anyone else tried H50BMG?

Doug

GS300

87 grs of Wc872 or H870 will get you 3250 FPS in your 30" barrel. It has in my last 3 7/300 Weatherbys with 30" barrels.

Makes a great LR cartridge especially at the 3250 FPS velocity.

Later
DC
smile.gif

DC HAVE YOU TRIED ANY OF THE 175 OR 180 GR MATCH BULLETS OUT OF YOUR 7-300'S????
rolleyes.gif

ERIC

Have had several 7/300 Weatherby rifles over the years and still have a straight 7mm Mag and a 7/300 Weatherby both with 30" barrels.

The 180gr Berger shoot well. I didn't cronograph the 180s though. At 1450 yds the 180s do shoot extremely well and very flat. They (Berger 180 GR) are listed as having a .698 BC which isn't to far behind the 30 Cal 240 gr MK which has a .711 BC.

I usually shot/shoot the 162 Gr Hornady and the 168 Gr Sierra MK. even at the above mentioned ranges. Killed alot of deer at longrange with the 7/300 Weatherby.

A 30" (at least) barrel works well but if I go with another 7mm for LR hunting, I would want a 34 or 36" barrel and the 300 RUM case necked down to 7mm. Maybe even the 7mm Tomahawk (300 RUM IMP). The 7STW would be another good choice except it's right there with a 7/300 Weatherby as per case capacity.

The 180s do work well in the 7/300 Weatherby case and the 30" barrels. Mine are also
9 twist.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Hello Link

That's the problem, going down to a 6.5 bore with that large of a case. That's "WAY" overbore. The 6.5/300 Weatherby is bad enough.

I was thinking more on the line of a 7mm/300 Tomahawk but even then, the 7mm is overbore for the case capacity.

With the 180 gr JLK and Berger bullets with a BC of right at .700, the 7mm would be a good choice for a LR hunting rig with a long barrel. The 180 gr 7mm custom bullets would beat the pants off the 6.5 bullets in a LR hunting rig even though I do like the 6.5/300 Weatherby and 142gr MKs.

I would consider the 7mm/300 RUM/Tomahawk if I had a 36" barrel, which I don't. The 7mm STW and the 7/300 Weatherby is just about right I think.

I've Heard that old BS from 6.5 shooters claiming that 7mms don't kill. Those guys said the same thing about 30/378s also. I don't buy that talk and those folks are full of ****.

We dropped 12 deer in a row across the mountains here, many years ago. The deer were in a line across the mountain at 950 and 1000 yards and several guys had doe tags, some had two.
They took turns on MY 7/300 Weatherby and only 13 rounds were fired. One spotter shot and then we held on each deer after that.
One shot per deer is all it took and we had 12 deer sliding out of the mountain and down onto the side of route 555.

They don't want to tell me that 7mms don't kill just as fast as most any other cartridge will.

Anyway, if i could locate a 34 or 36" barrel cheap, I may just go with a 7mm RUM or Tomahawk. If not maybe a 7 STW to go along with my 7/300 Weatherby.

I think the Fathers day shoot is no longer?

Later
DC

Darryl

I'll find out what the word is on the Fathers Day shoot. I know Olin just built a new barn with 3 shooting benches in the loft
grin.gif
...but i dont know how far we can shoot from there, i thought he only had bout 900yds from the house but i could be wrong. Wouldnt hardly be worth gettin yer barrel dirty for 900yds hehehe

Tomahawk#1

Ripper

I only received the posting information from Sierra concerning them and have not tried any.

I believe the 175 gr 7mm bullet may have a future but it will have to compete with the 180 gr Berger and JLK.
If the jackets are the same as the matchking line, the 175 could be a good choice though.

Time will tell.

I have some custom 176 gr and 186gr 7mm bullets that shot well to.

Link----900 yards??????? That's not worth the effort at all. If that's all the further we can shoot, may as well bring our varmint factory stuff like a 220 Swift.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.