powder for 7STW

dhtp

can get any powder i want but Hodgdon, Accurate, and Ramshot can be picked up easy in my area so no shipping. would like to know what powders people are useing in the 7stw with 162 amax, 168 mk, or 180 berger. dont limit to the powder makers i listed just let me know if you have a real good source for the other powders. i have a 26 inch bull barrel savage that i want to work out to a 1000yards with.
thanks for the help. kc

[ 03-30-2003: Message edited by: dhtp ]

I'm shooting a 7 Remington Magnum with H4831sc, H1000, Retumbo and WC872 with great success. I mostly use the 162 and 180's you mentioned, and have also had great luck with the Nosler 140 BT and 160 Partition.

I am working loads for a 27" Douglas barreled 7 STW now.Thing's are looking GOOD
grin.gif

I've changed computers and can't get any of my load information out of the old one right now.

If I remember right, I was shooting right around 2900 or just a little over out of a 26" barrel.

I wasn't thinking clearly on my previous post. The Nosler partitions are 175 grain. I've been reading a bunch of ads for the new 160 grain accu-bonds and the number stuck in my head.

They were shooting 3 shot groups well under MOA at three hundred yards. Most groups had two shots about 3/4" apart and the last shot about 2" higher. It was about to drive me nuts why the third shot kept going high when I ran out of powder.

I picked up two more pounds the other day but haven't worked on it since. I've kept busy playing with the WC-872 I picked up the same day.

Tim
how is the wc872 working?

Boyd
need more info what are you useing?
KC

[ 03-31-2003: Message edited by: dhtp ]

[ 03-31-2003: Message edited by: dhtp ]

A full case in the 7 mag is right about 80 grains of wc872. With the 162 Amax's I got a stiff bolt, but about 3/4 MOA.

I switched to the 140 Nosler BT's and things were looking promising. First few loads were easily 1/2 MOA or better. But this *** factory stock seems to have warped and is now once again touching the barrel. Fliers are getting more frequent with every shot fired.
mad.gif

I have a 7mm stw. 34 in barrel and behind 74.5 grains of H1000 am getting 3100 fps with the Berger 180 gr.
Very good accuracy and no pressure signs. Have also used H870 up to 89 grains but didnt get group size or velocity readings but should be close to same as H1000.

Do you guys hunt with the big Bergers or any of the Bergers in general?

They seem to shoot really well, I was wondering about the performance on game.

Is it similar to the the Sierra Match Kings?

Doug

Austin

How long is your barrel?

Do you know the case capacity in grains of water?

[ 01-10-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

In my 7/300 Weatherby Mag. which compares almost identical to the STW case capacity, I use 87 Grs of WC-872 and the 162 Hornady match or the 168 Gr Sierra MK.
Great hunting loads.

Shoots extremely well from the 30" barrel

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts