Powder for .308 Win

cornchuck

I have finally got to shoot my new Remington 700P in a .308 that I got about two years ago. Couldn't decide on scope so it sat in the safe, naked.

After I get the barrel broke in, I'm going to start reloading for it. I have decided to try 175 Seirra MatchKing and Hornady's 178 A-Max. I have read that Varget is a good powder for the 308. I was just wondering what other powders I should try. And what do you think of primers? I have CCI's BR-2 for my .243 and they seem to work well.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Jason

I just purchased the same rifle and broke it in Thursday. Below are my first 14 groups. I was using 175 grain SMKs, 43.6 grains of Varget w/CCI BR-2 primers. I'm going to dial in the load this weekend. I'll try loads of Varget; 42.8, 43.2, 43.6, 44.0.

Attachments

• 5-26-11_BreakIn.jpg
    5-26-11_BreakIn.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for the info, guys.

Roninflag, I will be shooting at targets mainly (working out to 1000 yds.) and groundhogs. The first thing I did before ever shooting the gun was adjust the trigger. Well, I tried. I couldn't get the rear engagement screw to loosen so I got mad and ordered a Timney and set it at 2lbs. May go lower.

jlamb, nice groups for a new gun. I was seeing 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. But I was using some cheap Remington ammo that I got from Cabelas to break in the barrel. 180 gr. core-lokt sp. Mainly for the brass. I did just buy 2 boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr. loaded with Sierra Matchkings. Looking forward to see what those do.

Jason

When the .308 was "the" cartridge for competition at ranges from 100 through 600 yards, IMR4064 was the favorite powder for bullet weights from 168 to 190 grains. Now that it's used mostly for Palma matches using 155's, Varget is a good choice for this lighter bullet.

Wolf primers have been a favorite for competitors; CCI's have been the least favorite.

These choices apply if your rifle's expected to shoot 1/4th MOA at 100 yards through 1/2 MOA at 600. You should shoot at least 20 shots per test group to have a reasonable idea of how good the component choices are.

I and many other long range target shooters have mainly use Varget. If you were after maximum velocity, the powders to use in the 308 are Reloader 15 and Vihta Vouri N540.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.