308 Win powder

I agree that saying totally insensitive is pretty brave. I will say the powder has given me outstanding accuracy last winter and this summer with temperatures from 40 to 100 anytime I shoot it at the range. It is my go to rifle for testing any scopes that are suspect.

I heard of IMR 8208 BR from AccurateShooter.com in a short article on substitute powders. Here is the quote: " We know guys who switched from Varget to IMR 8208 XBR in the .308 Win and they liked the 8208 XBR so well they never looked back."

Based on my experiences Varget is in a special category when it comes to temperature insensitivity. I used it in a 22-250 and did all sorts of testing in temperatures from 105 to 33 and chronograph readings and POI at 200 yds proved to me that hodgdon's description was correct.

I agree that saying totally insensitive is pretty brave. I will say the powder has given me outstanding accuracy last winter and this summer with temperatures from 40 to 100 anytime I shoot it at the range. It is my go to rifle for testing any scopes that are suspect.

I heard of IMR 8208 BR from AccurateShooter.com in a short article on substitute powders. Here is the quote: " We know guys who switched from Varget to IMR 8208 XBR in the .308 Win and they liked the 8208 XBR so well they never looked back."

Based on my experiences Varget is in a special category when it comes to temperature insensitivity. I used it in a 22-250 and did all sorts of testing in temperatures from 105 to 33 and chronograph readings and POI at 200 yds proved to me that hodgdon's description was correct.

How were your velocities with 8208 & with which bullets?

I used my 30 BR reamer and plunged it deeper to headspace as a 308. It is an improved 308 as it has less body taper and a steeper shoulder angle. Had to turn the necks to .010".

I am using Lapua brass. Fed 210 match primer. 168 sierra matchking seated into rifling. 43 gr of IMR 8208 BR velocity from 22" barrel 2750 fps. Worked up to 44 grs with no pressure. Using most accurate load.

I call this a 30BR/308 but often for brevity just call it a 308. Sorry if this doesn't help you much.

Ross

Reloader 15 @ 44.3 ( Old Military Load)
LC Match Brass
CCI 34 primer
175 Sierra MK

IMR 4064 @ 41.75 ( New Military Load )
FC Brass and Fed 210 Match Primer
175 MK

Varget @ 45.0
CCI BR2 primers
WW case
175 MK

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.