Powder choice for 243 Win with 87gr bullets ?

Jacko3006

I was wondering what powders and weight change you guys are using for 87gr bullets in the 243 my rifle is a Tikka T3 . I have IMR 4451 IMR 4166 H4350 H4831

thanks in advance and happy new year!

I tried the 4451 trying to get rid of it not that it's a bad powder but trying to minimize the inventory and it went pretty good now sighted in for wolf/coyote up to 400yds I'll keep this recipe for now but I'll be developing a new load with the H4350 since it's one of my favourite powder and I use it with other calibers

Thanks again

I tried the 4451 trying to get rid of it not that it's a bad powder
I have a pound of that (4451) just sitting around actually. I tried it in a 6mm Remington and the velocity was impressive, but I never could get consistent groups with it. Eventually had the 6mm Remington re-chambered to .243 Winchester and went with H4350 and accuracy has been exceptionally consistent. Take care, Sir! ;)

Probably the H4350. Don't have any of that, however. Currently I'm using 42.0 grains even of IMR 4350 under a Sierra 85 grain HPBT gameking. Deadly.

About to test H4350 against 3031. My lgoad manual says 3031 will give me a higher velocity. Nether are listed as a best accuracy or best hunting round. But I have both in my inventory.
Will post when 1) the temperatures at my range gets higher than 45F @ noon ( I am a California shooter and while I hunted in Alaska I am some 35 years older ) and 2) if I get some feed back/suggestions here.
Epags

About to test H4350 against 3031. My lgoad manual says 3031 will give me a higher velocity. Nether are listed as a best accuracy or best hunting round. But I have both in my inventory.
Will post when 1) the temperatures at my range gets higher than 45F @ noon ( I am a California shooter and while I hunted in Alaska I am some 35 years older ) and 2) if I get some feed back/suggestions here.
Epags

Keep us posted.

It is scary to post exact loads as barrels, wear on the barrel, powder lot# can be very different.

this load is for illustration purposes only in my worn rem 700 barrel

with the 87g bthp I shot a hot load in Lapua brass of 44.5g of R#19 with a win primer at 3400 fps, groups small. IMR 4831 is close to R#19. R#19 loves a Win large rifle primer.

I believe that higher velocities are available with the 85g speer btsp, 85g Sierra spt, 85g Sierra bthp, 87g hornady bthp, and V max with a tad slower powder than the variety of 4350's.

Lapua brass or brass formed from New Lake city 308 brass neck turned will really take some pressure. Lapua brass with the small primer pockets take a WHOLE LOT MORE PRESSURE than standard Win or Rem brass. Federal brass has soft case heads.

Many over look the 85g speer btsp, they are worth a second look if your barrel does not like the hornady 87's.

For goodness sakes, if you try R#19, work up to my load listed, and for sure if you like speed with accuracy, buy Lapua brass. There is a 100 fps advantage in going to the 308 Palma brass and necking down with neck turning, indefinite case life.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.