.264 Win Mag Powder Choice?

Well after a long wait I finally had time to work on a load for my rifle that generated the question in the first place.

I Chose to start with Retumbo, Norma Brass and 130gr Scirocco IIs and Federal Gold Medal Large mag primers.

Started with a ladder test at 400yards which didn't show much varation in vertical spread (2.5"). I started at the minimum and worked up in 0.5 grain increments to 1.0 grains over max - no presure signs of any kind.

With such a small spread it wasn't possible to identify any nodes so I decided to settle on testing three loads more thoroughly - 0.5 grains under max, max and .5 over max. They all looked good with 0.5 grains over max looking the best. Velocity was a bit under book but I can live with that.

I plan to spend a little time fine tuning the bullet seating depth to see if that can improve upon it. but all in all very happy with where I'm at.

Attachments

• 2013-03-23 09 58 09.jpg
    2013-03-23 09 58 09.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 176
Thanks. I took some time to play with the seating depth and it proved to help a bit. . Each incremental change showed small improvements.

This is the last target. Picture isn't oriented correctly. First two shots were touching with one to the left (bottom) was the third shot.

I've loaded up 20 rounds at this length and will be testing at 300, 400, 500 & 600. Really hoping it holds at the longer ranges.

second target.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.