Help with powder choice

alloutsmith3

OK guys, I asked about loading some 208 AMAX's for my 308WIN a little bit ago. After talking to a friend that has some reloading equipment he's going to help me load 100 rounds up. I'm going to be using brand new Winchester brass and wanted to get powder recommendations. The rifle that I'm going to be shooting them from is a Savage 10FP with 22" barrel and a 1:10 twist. I was thinking either Reloder 17 or Reloder 15. All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Might want to follow this thread and others on Snipers Hide with the 208 in the 308

208 Amax - Alternate Powder Thread - Sniper's Hide Forums

Many of the FTR shooters are using the new Berger 185 and liking it much better than the 208.

BTW, highly recommend that you buy your own set of 308 dies, so they are set up for your gun, not his. Cost is minimal and return will be great.

OK guys, I asked about loading some 208 AMAX's for my 308WIN a little bit ago. After talking to a friend that has some reloading equipment he's going to help me load 100 rounds up. I'm going to be using brand new Winchester brass and wanted to get powder recommendations. The rifle that I'm going to be shooting them from is a Savage 10FP with 22" barrel and a 1:10 twist. I was thinking either Reloder 17 or Reloder 15. All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I've not heard a lot of good things with Re17 so far. I used to use a lot of Re15 in a 308 my brother had many years ago and it worked fine. I like that powder. That said, I have been using IMR4064 for 21 years with never improved upon results and the loads all shoot beyond my expectations.

IMR4064 is my powder of choice in the 308. Runner-up is Varget.

I have had over a dozen different loads in one 308 rifle all using 4064 and it was never ever a problem finding superb accuracy. I used 150, 165, 180 ballistic tips, 150, 180 Speers, 180 Sciroccos, 150 partitions, 210 VLDs, and multiple Sierras.

Here is a benchrest site showing loads:

http://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html

It is my opinion that the top 2 powders for the 308 were Re15 and 4064 until Varget came on the market. I like Varget a lot, don't get me wrong, but I found 8 pound jugs of 4064 on sale so I use more of it and it shoots better or equal to the Varget and is consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.