Powder blend

If you do a home blend let me know how it goes. Maybe try some rl-22 and rl-26 should get some ungodly velocities 😂😂😂....or you might just blow up your gun along with everything around it. No dont blend powder!

Smokeless Muzzleloder shooters use duplex loads all the time with no issues. Sometimes the slower powder wont ignite reliably because the bullet doesn't create enough tension in the barrel. You can load these with just one finger on top of the rod. So a small amount of a faster or more easily ignited powder is put in first. I did it for yrs with my flintlock hunting in PA. I used 10 grains of 4 f black powder and on top of that put 70 grains of pyrodex and then a patched round ball. Worked great. On the smokeless build i do now they use h4198 by itself and push 300 gr bullets @2800 fps. If you tried to lower the powder charge to shoot them at 2200 or so they wont fire most times. Therefore a different powder or a duplex load would work better. Personally i see no reason to even try it with a centerfire rifle.
Shep
when I was a kid in another country, I use to buy saltpeter (in white powder form) from the pharmacy, use sulphur from our farm, charcoal and sugar and make my own black powder for fireworks. But even blackpowder can be extremely hazzardous when mixed!

A buddy sent me pics the other day of a fired cartridge. The case was split, primer gone, face full of gas, bolt was locked up and the chronograph read almost 1000fps more velocity than it should have but otherwise no other problems. It was his first shot out of a brand new batch he just loaded. He pulled the bullets on the other 19 loads, weighed and checked everything, all was exactly as it should be. The other 19 were reloaded and shot exactly as they should no issues, so the only thing he could come up with is he hadn't cleaned out his powder dispenser as thoroughly as he thought and that he may have mixed two powders on accident. This was a 223.

I'd heard years ago that ammo companies blended their powders, guess it just stuck in my head. Do know this happened because I saw the rifle. Guy from about 30 miles away whom I was going to Colorado hunting with was loading his 44 mag using 2400. His daughter interrupts him as he is finishing up, he then starts loading 300 win mag. you have guessed it if you think he used about 75 grains of 2400. Stock split into 3 pieces. Bolt is welded shut. The rifle was a colt Sauer , German made for colt. He sent to Germany and it was returned two months later with a letter congratulating him for owning the strongest action firearm in the world. But it wasn't a warranty issue.

Anyone ever blend rifle powder? If so how did it go. I know ammunition manufacturers blend powders to achieve there needs and bullet speed for proprietary purposes.
I'd say don't do it unless you have a degree in chemistry and/ or in manufacturing of gunpowders.It could end up in a fatality or disaster .
That's my two cents anyway

OK. Guess I'll have to admit to doing something dumb recently. After loading up rounds, and dipping the powder from a bowl, I poured the remaining powder back into the wrong canister. Tossing about 1/2 a canister left a knot in my stomach, but better that than a ruined rifle. I've heard old powder can be good for your vegies.

Would not recommend doing that at all, not even blending the same powder from different lots, you would most likely have different burning rates and that would lead to a disaster. I don't know if manufacturers blend or mix powders or not but if they did it would be under controlled and measured conditions not in the garage or at the kitchen table.

I knew a guy that did that using the Lee Loader volumetric powder measures when he was in his late teenage years. I was standing behind him, watching as he tried to hit a railroad sign about 65yds distant with some of his .243 Win handloads. I didn't know about his reloading practices at that time, which is one reason I was standing behind him. He shot at the sign three times, and his light for caliber .243 Win bullets all vaporized in flight before reaching the sign. Neither of us knew that was happening at the time. He had difficulty getting the bolt open each of the first two shots. On the third shot he welded his Rem 700 bolt to the barrel and action body.

Gunsmith had to perform surgery to separate the bolt from the action and barrel. That's how this guy learned that different powders have different burn rates. He'd watched too many Davy Crockett and Danial Boone movies as a kid. Volumetric powder measurement. He didn't even own a powder scale at this point in his reloading career. We'd nicknamed him "Goose" throughout high school. He died in his early 30s, a consequence of bad decisions.

Last edited:
Would not recommend doing that at all, not even blending the same powder from different lots, you would most likely have different burning rates and that would lead to a disaster.
Eh, if it's the same powder and if it's a similar production window but if it's just a different lot... throw it in an 8# keg, shake it, and let it ride.

There's a whole lot of "ifs" in that sentence though, so I wouldn't actually advise anyone to do it... but my face is still in the correct arrangement so far. As good as it's ever been at least, which isn't saying much.