Blending Powders

''My LGS use to sell one pound cans of powder that were relabeled. They were taking 8lb cans and repackaging them into 8-1lb cans using previously empty bottles that needed to be relabeled."

About 40+ years ago one of my LGS used to sale powder by the pound. They had different sized large canasters. They would weigh out a pound and put it into a PAPER BAG. Some of this powder was surplus military. When you got home you were supposed to put the powder into some air tight container. Many used a Mason Jar. This was before many people had a chronograph. You just started low and worked up watching for "pressure signs". This was back before the "accuracy" craze we have these days. If you got a load that was minute of ground hog out to the distance you were shooting them it was good enough. Little did we know the "danger" we were toying with at times. I still have all my fingers, hands and face. LOL

Like many have stated mixing the same powder from different lots is OK, but be sure to work up your load again. One problem that may arise is the manufacturer issues a SAFETY recall on one of those lots you used. Now you have a big lot of bad powder but will only get reimbursed for one from the manufacturer. Today, I don't mix lots and just re-work/verify the new lot on the range with the chronograph and target(groups).

In my opinion the differences are due to moisture content, mainly. When blending I'll air dry the entire lot in a tub for a week. If you buy future lots you can air dry same period and the powder should be good to go.

Varmint Hunter:

Your LGS is probably tiptoeing along a dangerous line, liability-wise. If anyone ever has a problem with a load, especially one that results in an accident, I think there are lawyers who would love to bring a suit against the LGS for endangering the public or something.

On the other hand, when I was first getting into reloading -- in 1960 -- there was a LGS that had large drums of reclaimed military powder that they would sell into brown paper bags, weighed out on a grocery store scale. They'd label it something like "just like 4198" or something. Those were the days!

Last edited:
In my opinion the differences are due to moisture content, mainly. When blending I'll air dry the entire lot in a tub for a week. If you buy future lots you can air dry same period and the powder should be good to go.
I would hate to leave powder unsealed for a week here in Kansas with the high humidity we have!!
I do mix my powder in 8lb containers, as they get low, I add another pound or 2 & shake it well to mix, then work up again with the new batch. I know I could do the same with induvial lots, but it saves space not having several 1# bottles of the same powder.

I realize it is done all the time, But even the same canister of powder can very in velocity and SD's. what we found was that If you buy 6 or 8 1 pound cans/bottles one of them will shoot better than the others all we could deduce from that was that all the granules in that can were more uniform that other cans of the same batch number. I personally have never fired 5 shots with a zero standard deviation, but I have seen a few and the shooters that recognized the difference would save this powder for matches only where every bit of accuracy counted.

I can't shoot well enough to tell the difference, so I rely on the chronograph to tell me the ammo quality because it doesn't know or care what you do to loaded ammo, and group size to show my shortcomings.

The bench rest shooter and master gunsmith that got me interested said the difference was enough to win or lose, and did the same thing to his cartridge cases by numbering them and keeping track of the group sizes each one produced and used the best case and batch of powder in the important matches.

I personally found a batch of H 4831 that was WW 2 surplus and it shot better than any I had ever bought and it was used for 1000 yard matches only, very successfully for me.

So If SD's and sub .099 groups are not important to you then powder issues are not important.
I for one will never stop trying to best my best group ever with a hunting rifle (.034).
Is that kind of accuracy necessary? absolutely not, But it does make all the care and time spent rewarding to some.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I realize it is done all the time, But even the same canister of powder can very in velocity. what we found was that If you buy 6 or 8 1 pound cans/bottles one of them will shoot better than the others.
I have never gotten a zero standard deviation, but I have seen a few and the shooters that recognized the difference would save this powder for matches only where every bit of accuracy counted.

The bench rest shooter and master gunsmith that got me interested said the difference was enough to win or lose, and did the same thing to his cartridge cases by numbering them and keeping track of the group sizes each one produced and used the best case and batch of powder in the important matches.

I personally found a batch of H 4831 that was WW 2 surplus and it shot better than any I had ever bought and it was used for 1000 yard matches only, very successfully for me.

So If SD's and sub .099 groups are nor important to you then powder issues are not important.
I for one will never stop trying to best my best group ever with a hunting rifle (.034).
Is that kind of accuracy necessary? absolutely not, But it does make all the care and time spent rewarding to some.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks to all and I too spend hours trying to make the most accurate. I started shooting BR, it's like a sickness, every time I think I'm getting better I have another relapse!! Unfortunately, COVID is making competing difficult.

If you do mix different lots of the same powder, one thing is for certain: some time down the road when you run low or run out, you will NEVER be able to duplicate that blend again. Whether or not it will make a difference, who knows. I don't have the capability to establish burn rates.

It's really not a matter of trying to match another batch. When you shoot up your old batch trash it. Then start all over with the "new" batch. That's why I like to get several pounds if i have to get 1 pounders. Mix up 6-8 lbs then you're good to go for a while - til that runs out. JMO

If you're gonna "blend," blend it Real Good! You don't want the top of the bottle being the old stuff, and the bottom of the bottle being the new stuff. (Unless you're gonna sell tickets to the show!)
It's probably just fine as frog's hair. It's like skydiving ... your parachute is probably gonna open just fine. It's the consequences if it doesn't that would raise my awareness just a mite.

One problem that may arise is the manufacturer issues a SAFETY recall on one of those lots you used. Now you have a big lot of bad powder but will only get reimbursed for one from the manufacturer.
Great point. Reminded me of the 3- 1 pound cans , 2 different lot numbers, i bought at the same time, many years ago. One went bad after a few years of sitting. IMR 4895. Lucky it didnt carch fire. No recall that i know of. No internet back then.

In the photo, one of the other cans is visiable.

Attachments

• IMR4895_20090928_1.JPG.jpg
    IMR4895_20090928_1.JPG.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.