Powder Alert!

With ever inflation, rising interest rates, increased regulations and insanely inflated fuel prices I'm afraid this is the "new normal" at least for the foreseeable future.

On top of everything else there's an ongoing, ever increasing steady growth in the shooting sports, particularly with people's growing concern for safety/self-defense which is putting a serious strain on production. Add to that the Army fielding a new battle rifle and LMG/MMG round we're probably at least 3-5 years away from seeing any easing.
I know quite a few people who are hardly shooting at all this year because of the expense. I'm still shooting, but I'm starting to dig into rainy day stuff and have a couple years supply squirreled away. I've also got a few guns that components simply aren't available at all for right now, no matter the cost.
I'm switching brands on some things. I refuse to give Nosler what they want for Accubonds lately. I'll also be switching powder on some rifles in the next couple years; there is NO way I'm dropping $60 a # on some of these powders.
Odd thing, where are all the 7mm bullets right now? It seems 9 of ten 7mm bullet styles are out of stock right now.

I know quite a few people who are hardly shooting at all this year because of the expense. I'm still shooting, but I'm starting to dig into rainy day stuff and have a couple years supply squirreled away. I've also got a few guns that components simply aren't available at all for right now, no matter the cost.
I'm switching brands on some things. I refuse to give Nosler what they want for Accubonds lately. I'll also be switching powder on some rifles in the next couple years; there is NO way I'm dropping $60 a # on some of these powders.
Odd thing, where are all the 7mm bullets right now? It seems 9 of ten 7mm bullet styles are out of stock right now.
So are Accubonds, Interbonds, and a whole lot other "hunting bullets".

I can't answer as to where all the bullets have gone and honestly unless there's a real strain on the components market it doesn't make sense. Nosler, Hornady etc aren't making money if they aren't making bullets and ammo. They will always be first in line for their own bullets to load factory ammo but without a strain on component supplies they should have the capacity to do both.

I think one problem we're facing is that these companies are producing more bullet lines each year than they did in years past and they have limited facilities and production capabilities to produce a given number of bullets of any type in any given year.

I have a "friend in the industry" so maybe I'll give him another call and see if he has a clue.

Last edited:
There it is $63.95 a pound....no thanks and unbelievably no line...but I'm sure the hoarding dawgs amongst us will bone us and give in...
FB_IMG_1665946010216.jpg

With ever inflation, rising interest rates, increased regulations and insanely inflated fuel prices I'm afraid this is the "new normal" at least for the foreseeable future.

On top of everything else there's an ongoing, ever increasing steady growth in the shooting sports, particularly with people's growing concern for safety/self-defense which is putting a serious strain on production. Add to that the Army fielding a new battle rifle and LMG/MMG round we're probably at least 3-5 years away from seeing any easing.
Yes until we vote the Dump Bd's out!

I'm curious as to how much powder we can buy before we're "hoarding dogs"?

Should we be limited to one, three, maybe five pounds per year?
Everyone's needs are different. I can pretty easily shoot 5 or more pounds of powder in a year. others are much more than that, some people only shoot 5-20 rounds per year. It's not hoarding unless your stash greatly outweighs your consumption.

Everyone's needs are different. I can pretty easily shoot 5 or more pounds of powder in a year. others are much more than that, some people only shoot 5-20 rounds per year. It's not hoarding unless your stash greatly outweighs your consumption.
Amen. Just the butthurt complain. Shot 5 pound last month and yet I'm still short on powder for that rifle. If you haven't got powder by now you are the problem mostly. You have had 2 years now. Heck ol' Veteran has 236+- posts to help find powder

Last edited:
I tend to consume 5-10lbs or a bit more of rifle powder, about the same in pistol/shotgun powders every year and try to keep about the same in reserve just in case.

I've found on more than one occasion it might be a year or more once I start looking sometimes before I can find what I need so that keeps me from running out most years.

Amen. Just the butthurt complain. Shot 5 pound last month and yet I'm still short on powder for that rifle. If you haven't got powder by now you are the problem mostly. You have had 2 years now. Heck ol' Veteran has 236+- posts to help find powder
And for most of the last two years it was a darn site cheaper than it is now.

Not it's being prepared for the next unexpected shortage. Not everyone can afford to buy 20 or 30 lb at a time. So if I buy a lb or two a week. And don't use it. That is my choice. It is no different than if I did use it. If someone can afford 20 lb at a time, more power to them.

I tend to consume 5-10lbs or a bit more of rifle powder, about the same in pistol/shotgun powders every year and try to keep about the same in reserve just in case.

I've found on more than one occasion it might be a year or more once I start looking sometimes before I can find what I need so that keeps me from running out most years.
I was talking GREATLY. I have over a years powder supply easy. When I put on a barrel I try my best to buy a lot of bullets and powder to run it out. so 1-2000 bullets depending on cartridge and usually around 10lbs powder. (that's for every rifle) I'm talking about the guys who shoot 20 rounds a year and are buying up every powder they see whether they use it or not.
Sitting on 50 lbs and shooting half a pound a year is pretty janky.

Not it's being prepared for the next unexpected shortage. Not everyone can afford to buy 20 or 30 lb at a time. So if I buy a lb or two a week. And don't use it. That is my choice. It is no different than if I did use it. If someone can afford 20 lb at a time, more power to them.
I'm not here to stop anyone. Stock pile as you see fit but you do know one lot of powder to the next is not consistent so if you are shooting for accuracy having 10-20 different lots of powder is not conducive as you essentially have to re do your load every jug.

If you are shooting shorter distances you can load a mid-weight book charge and call it a day. But I've had to adjust loads with retumbo over 15% to bring the accuracy back in.

I was talking GREATLY. I have over a years powder supply easy. When I put on a barrel I try my best to buy a lot of bullets and powder to run it out. so 1-2000 bullets depending on cartridge and usually around 10lbs powder. (that's for every rifle) I'm talking about the guys who shoot 20 rounds a year and are buying up every powder they see whether they use it or not.
Sitting on 50 lbs and shooting half a pound a year is pretty janky.

I'm not here to stop anyone. Stock pile as you see fit but you do know one lot of powder to the next is not consistent so if you are shooting for accuracy having 10-20 different lots of powder is not conducive as you essentially have to re do your load every jug.

If you are shooting shorter distances you can load a mid-weight book charge and call it a day. But I've had to adjust loads with retumbo over 15% to bring the accuracy back in.
So you answered the question yourself. Why wouldn't someone want to hoard 100 lbs if they find their desired load for a rifle ? No matter if they desire to shoot it once or 1,000 times. Not every firearm needs precision to be a useful tool. Powder can also have more than one usage if need be. When have you seen the prices drop ? And then you take the chance of said good powder being discontinued. As we have seen in the past. In fact I have some. lol

So you answered the question yourself. Why wouldn't someone want to hoard 100 lbs if they find their desired load for a rifle ? No matter if they desire to shoot it once or 1,000 times. Not every firearm needs precision to be a useful tool. Powder can also have more than one usage if need be. When have you seen the prices drop ? And then you take the chance of said good powder being discontinued. As we have seen in the past. In fact I have some. lol
I never asked a question.
Do what you want with your powder I'm not going to try and stop you. I said exactly the same about accuracy if you don't care buy powder 1lbs at a time and you'll never have the same load, perfect. if you want consistency you need same lot. If you wanna have powder to look at go ahead but I shoot mine.