Portable scale reviews / recommendations

gle3105

I've been searching a good deal for a portable type scale. Might be an Amazon purchase so I can send it back if it doesn't perform.

Criteria: Does it stay zeroed. Will stay at tare setting. Accuracy to .1 grain or better. Trickling response time.( I found one specifying <2sec )
Battery plus AC.
I have beam scales, an older RCBS ds, Hornady Powder auto thrower.
Having seven presses I'm wanting a "moblie " scale.

First hand experiences please.

Some scales have battery power, some do not. It doesn't take much effort to rig power.

Just food for thought.
Many of us just go ahead and run electronic powder dispensers both at the home work bench and on the range.

In most examples, it just takes a little effort to organize a 12V cord to get power from the vehicle or from a battery pack for places without outlets.

Most of the current load cell scales or dispensers are sturdy enough to tolerate portable use. Since the electronic scales below a price level are all load cells, you may as well make it easier on yourself and just run the dispenser. It ends up far less fuss than dragging separate scale plus everything else it takes to handle powder. Just something to consider... YMMV

ETA: pay particular attention to your criteria. Many scales, portable or not, are poor performers when it comes to zero drift and trickle response. It was a shame they stopped making the GemPro 250. None of the ones I would recommend are still in production and I am not familiar with all the latest alternatives other than the A&D scales which are not cheap.

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/and-newton-ej-123.html?
gclid=Cj0KCQjw1bqZBhDXARIsANTjCPKvGg_4_cvOsKe5hqPdlvQ_PghzlZIH8NstFPwoFy-XgaT5b9O_v2gaAoDtEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Having 7 presses in multiple location in my loading man cave thus the reason for a portable. I still have beam scale
Run ac to each location one ask's? NP I'm an electrical contractor of 40 years plus AS degree in applied electrical science. ( wohoo ,,big deal 🤣 )
Running AC is something I do not want to do in this application. But thanks for the thought.
What is A&D? I don't know this abbreviation.
As mentioned I have other scales as to proof. Forgot to mention an Oahus.

Having 7 presses in multiple location in my loading man cave thus the reason for a portable. I still have beam scale
Run ac to each location one ask's? NP I'm an electrical contractor of 40 years plus AS degree in applied electrical science. ( wohoo ,,big deal 🤣 )
Running AC is something I do not want to do in this application. But thanks for the thought.
What is A&D? I don't know this abbreviation.
As mentioned I have other scales as to proof. Forgot to mention an Oahus.
A&D FX 120i Scale used with the V4Trickler

Great for reloading.

Recent Posts