Please inform me on these 2 things

dimecovers3

I have two seperate questions. First, what is the difference between a Model 7 action and a Model 700 short action? I once heard that the 700 was better. If so, why? I want to know because am interested in building 300WSM and want to know which action to use (which is stronger and more accurate)I also plan to build an ultralite 7mm/08 and the same question applies. Second, when long rang hunting, why do so many posts I read talk about using such heavy bullets for caliber. Example: I always thought in .30 Caliber 168 was best compromise of weight vs. speed to equal most foot ponds on target at long range and 140 grs. for 7mm etc... BUT I always read MUCH heavier weight bullets and I am not sure why. Could somebody please explain?

Thanks in advance

Ill give the second half a try,
in most cases, er... gotta be careful with that word. In most instances when people talk about heavy for caliber bullets, they are refering to a bullet that is designed for aerodynamic efficeny. Heavy for caliber bullet=high BC. High BC = low wind drift. Low wind drift is the most valuable asset a shooter can have when the ranges get long.
The 168 is considered by many to be optimum for the 308Win, but the 168SMK has recently fallen out of favor with most LR shooters bue to its inability to stay stable after going subsonic. In the 308Win, thats in the area of 950yds. Most (myself included) believe the 175 is optimal for LR use in the 308Win. More case capacity... more bullet weight that can be used.

Dimecovers3,

There are minor differences between the M7 and M700 but nothing really strength wise. They are both very stout accurate receivers great for building on when accurized properly. Out of the box it is a crap shoot what you will get ranging from a steller shooter to a dismal one.

No matter which receiver you decide to go with have it fully accurized. This may be obvious to most here but sometimes it is not.

To be totally honest about your 300 WSM project. If you will be using this rifle for long range shooting or even want to use the tipped bullets on the market, these two receivers will be very short in the magazine. If you want a single shot receiver then either will work perfectly.

For a repeater I generally perfer to get a Rem 700 receiver for a standard length belted magnum such as the 7mm Rem Mag.

This will allow you to use bullets up to whatever weight you want and still use the magazine. Added weight will be slightly more but to be honest, it is not enough to even talk about.

While the short action is in theory stiffer, the long action receiver has a longer wheel base if you will between the action screws and is generally more stabile in a properly bedded rifle.

For the 7/08 in the ultra light, I would probably go with the SA 700 because of the vastly larger selection of aftermarket componants offered for it especially in ultralight stocks.

Your bullet question has been covered well enough.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Can the same scope bases be interchanged between the Model 7 and the Model 700 short? Or do you have to get different bases for the two actions? Thanks.

I can't tell you all the differences between the 7 and 700 but there are enough that I would stick with the 700 as you'll find a much better selection of aftermarket stuff for them over the 7. Also I will second Kirby's recommendation to use a long action over the SA, for the same reasons. The action can also be lightened up considerably if you want it way lighter than a standard SA.
I "think" that the 7 takes its own bases but I've only bought one set and can't remember for sure. The triggers are not identical but I have not looked to see what the specific differences are. I believe the 7 also holds one less round due to its shallower mag box and stock design.

You have two bullets leaving with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps, the bullet with the higher BC (more aerodynamic) will get to the target quicker because the rate of velocity decay is slower. It will impact with greater velocity, thus greater energy. It will drift less in the wind. Even if the higher BC bullet leaves with a little bit slower MV, at long range it will most often catch, then exceed the faster lighter bullet with the lower BC and in the end vastly outperform it. If you take a look at the ballistic charts it's the only way to compare what you're contemplating using, then it easy to see.

Well i got bit by the short mag bug very quickly, and I had to have one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I have regretted it ever since. I wanted a rem 700 but none available at that time. I settled for a model 7 in 300 SA ultra. Flimsy stock, horrible trigger, binding bolt, and worst of all 1.5 in groups with every powder and bullet combo I have tried. I am going to have it rebarreled as soon as I have the funds!! Stick with the small block chevy of rifles: the 700. The model seven is more like a delorean.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts