How do I get talked into these things?

I agree Winchester 284 Win brass is hard to find. But that is only one brand of 284 Win brass and its quality is fair. One issue that is often encountered is varying neck wall thicknesses case to case and neck wall thickness varying around the diameter of a single case. These cases also have a relatively short primer pocket life.

There are two ways to get very high quality 284 brass.

1) Norma now makes it for Bullets.com with advanced production methods .

Read this and you will understand this is some very special brass:

Norma to Make 6mm Dasher and .284 Win Brass for Bullets.com « Daily Bulletin

If I were building a new 284 win today I would use this Norma brass.

The Norma brass in currently on sale here:

Bullets.com®

2) buy 6.5-284 Lapua brass and neck it up.

I had similar criteria recently and choose to go with the 6.5-284. Lapua brass is available. Tons of well documented loads. Not much recoil.

I have been loading it light to save on barrel wear, to 6.5 CM velocities. But yet if I ever wanted to load it hotter for hunting, at least I have the option. :)

Update - forgot to add, build it on a long action.

I think the .280 or .280 AI are both good options as well. I am a .284 WIN fan but the .280/.280 AI are right with it or a little more and have a lot more options for brass

few on armslist in your state and many 308 online sales. I passed on many Ruger Precision sales past couple months must be good thing that they sellout quick then

Talked to my friend at the gun store today. The conversation went like this.

Him: "Come in back and look what I just got in."
He pulls out a Ruger mini-14 and a Nikon P-223.

Me: "Nice. You still want to build that long range rifle now?"

Him. "This IS my long range rifle!"

I might still go ahead and build the rifle if I can get the parts super cheap. :rolleyes:

--TK

I might still go ahead and build the rifle if I can get the parts super cheap. :rolleyes:

--TK

Haha his "long range" must be 100 yards because I haven't seen a Mini 14 that you could hit a dang thing with! If you want a long range rifle just save up and build a Savage or Remington with the barrel nut conversion. Don't get into a hurry and go super cheap. For $1500 you can build a nice rifle with a decent piece of glass on it.

--TK
Actually your friend is right. Anything past 5 ft IS LONG RANGE to a Mini-14. Kinda like a 70yd BOW shot is long range.:)

Pretty much what I thought. :rolleyes:

We don't really have that many places to shoot long range, especially in the winter. The one rifle range only goes to 125yds "technically." Practically, there is a 24" steel plate at 750yds, but it's not rated above a 308. And the place to shoot 1000yds is underwater now. But I've got a place or two up my sleeve. I'm going to take my new(ish) 243 out soon and do some shooting to at least 500.

I'll most likely make a new post every time I acquire a new part, so keep an eye out. :D

--TK

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.