Please help - Don’t know where to start

A few years back I was in the same place as you. I ended up with a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit and a Lee 50 Classic 50BMG kit. I shoot a lot of 9mm, 45acp, and 223/5.56 for fun and work, however I have just bought or been supplied commercial as not having the time to reload and not needing better then factory accuracy with it. My 308, 338 Lapua Mag, and 50BMG are a different story. I hunt with the 308 and 338 and need/want sub moa. Also it is cheaper to reload those and my 50 if i pay attention and grab stuff on sale. Also when I see 9, 45, 223, 300blk components go on sale I grab them and just put them in the corner (along with the primers and powder need for them) as you will learn those do disappear and become hard / impossible to find at times.
So with this shortage going on and me being home the last few days I thought well might as well load up some ammo. I will tell you I love my Rock Chucker for my bigger rifle rounds that I load 100 rounds a sitting. However loading 500 300blk and 500 9mm the last few days is a beating!!!! So you really need to know what you want to reload. 100 rounds rifle rounds that touch at 200-300 yards (Rock Chucker with Redding Type S-Match Die Set all daylong), 500 to 1000 blaze it down ammo start looking at a Dillion.. I see one in my future to go along with the stuff in the corner..
* Side Note all these new loads I have been doing have load numbers that start with covid19 😊

A lot of good suggestions on a kit to start off, that said I would wonder if you know anyone that could give you advice on what to use and how to do it? Maybe join a range and see who you meet perhaps. I had a mentor and can't tell you how much that helped on equipment suggestions and techniques. Sure a video would help and a kit will get you into basics if you are pretty much without any personal guidance, this forum is a great place to ask questions also.

if you are pretty much without any personal guidance, this forum is a great place to ask questions also.

+1 on this ^^^^^^
Lots of great, knowledgeable guys here who are truly happy to help out wherever they can. I'd like to recommend a video series that has helped me tremendously.

As far as equipment goes try to get the absolute best you can afford if you're able to. Even then you'll probably end up wanting 'upgrade' a few things later on down the road as your needs change. Most of all....HAVE FUN!

I guess joining a range or gun club is not a good idea at this point in time with the sheltering at home and avoiding crowds thing. The gunshop where I hang out has set-up a free learn to reload course that two of us instruct at. Guess as it gets crazy here it will get postponed for a while. It seems like a good idea to be able to give a hands on thing that allows for questions and producing your own ammo by the end. More small shops should do the same I think. This present time has created a huge amount of interest in reloading, gun purchases, and shooting in general. Just some thought's on the subject........

Like with anything, get the best you can afford. Try to stay away from proprietary presses that require you to buy specific dies or adapters. A lot of great options and used equipment out there if you look. Don't skimp on your press, scale, and calipers in particular. Accuracy and consistency are king in precision reloading. As far as saving money on high volume such as 9mm, when I did the math on first reloading, I'd save $20.00 - $30.00 per thousand. Cost savings on multiple reloads on brass increases that savings, but I figured I'd likely be in the 30-40,000 round range before I paid for the progressive press I wanted. Figured in my time and its a no brainer. As much as I like reloading, I'd rather shoot.

Ultimate Reloader on YouTube did a side by side comparison with 20 different reload presses for a complete breakdown of features, accuracy potential, and cost analysis. He also has good videos I've found on lots of different reloading equipment and components. I use a single stage Redding and a lot of their tools, but I also use Sinclair tools. I liked the scientific method of reloading and bought everything at once several years ago, while I still use some of it, I wish I would have had someone to talk to about it and show me what wasn't really necessary for the moment.

This is all great. Thank you. I can't see myself reloading 9mm even though I shoot that the most of that caliber unless we can't buy it anymore cause all the crazies hoarded it all or someone like Biden gets elected. It's just to cheap and easy to buy. But I want to reload for my 7mm rem mag, 556 and 6.5 Grendal. I'm also looking at building a new 6.5 and 300 PRC rifles and also reloading for them. I want to build Percision Ammo. And have the option to load everything If I need to.
7 mm is fairly common start with that reload for one caliber until you fine tune your processes just a little before branching out to more calibers therefore saving on equipment at first once you are more comfortable buy more slowly

I would start with a RCBS Rockchucker for long range rifle and a Dillon 550 etc. for handgun or high volume rifle 223 .300 blk etc. I often hear about saving money by reloading which you can but. The biggest advantages are customization of ammo and not worrying about ammo selling out at the store. I stockpile components when they are cheap and keep loading when they are scarce. I sleep better knowing I will never run out of ammo.

"A boat is really just a big hole in the water you throw money into." Precision reloading equipment and components is a near second - but drier and, IMHO, more fun! Good luck - good words here. BTW - Again IMHO a single stage offers you the most control over your reloading process. I use a Rock Chucker Supreme, but the are lots of other good choices. I also have a Lee turret press for reloading pistol ammo - which IMHO does not need as much hand-massaging.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.